Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: bottom set - do you take down good size pot or trap?

I'm a bit worried that you say you would raise preflop with 44.

On the flop you're in perfect position to check-raise and trap the field in the middle on a very safe board. Or you can make a strong bet to build the pot in order to make sure you get all of your chips in. Or you can just check-call to let the people drawing near dead continue to invest their chips without scaring them off. Instead you took the "geee I hope someone calls my microscopic bet cuz it would suck to win nothing with a set" approach. And your approach seems to have had the desired effect... you won a couple more dollars. No more, no less.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:54 AM

Are you Alias FGB?

Anyways on to the hand. .you lead out to disguise your set. .bravo it worked. .now you put in a third bet? Why? Don't fear 4 outs or whatever they are both drawing to. . it ain't much. .trust me.

Call the $5 and c/r the turn. If the turn checks through value bet the river about $30 unless the board ends up T 3 5 2 4.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:17 AM

I definitely prefer to keep money going into the pot and give them the opportunity to raise. Small bets from early position are very deceptive. They look like draws. And I want to at least have two more people call a small bet to allow for a larger value bet on the river.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit worried that you say you would raise preflop with 44.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will check out how I do with my mid-PP, it seems to work for me though, if I take down the pot right there I am happy, if not depending on who, how many are in the pot with me, and how tight the table is, I usually have a good chance to steal the pot with a 2/3 size bet on the flop. I like to scare away weak aces as well as other marginal drawing hands, I do not bother with 33 or 22. But you could be right I only have about 5k or so hands of NL so I will see my run rate on mid and low pocket pairs, specifically when I PFR.