Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Don\'t check when you hit with AK!

If nothing else, it started a good dialogue in a worthy subject [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 02:07 PM

Hmmm . . . well, here's a good question: What did your post asking me what my post accomplished accomplish?

The answer to that is NOTHING. Just like this particular post.

To answer your question (in spite of the fact that answering it is not accomplishing anything), it was meant to start a dialog about specific reasons and situations where you would check AK when you hit the flop. I believe that in a lot of the situations where the hands are posted and the player has checked with AK, they do not have a specific goal or reason for doing this, and are not certain what they believe the outcome of the check will be.

I apologize if I worded the original post too absolutely for the more finnicky readers on this list. Of course there are few absolutes in poker (really there are few absolutes in anything).
Old 01-11-2005, 02:08 PM

Oh yeah, and you should raise AK (suited) 4.2 out 5 times. And unsuited 3.4565 out of 5 times.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:25 AM

I play at low-limits (.10/.25). I can say with authority that I ALWAYS bet when I hit AK. Since I raised pre-flop, the table is pretty worried about me having AA or KK (depending on what the flop brought).

If there are only 1 or 2 players left, which there usually are after a raise, I will get them out 2/3 of the time with a half to full pot size bet.

By the way, I also tend to bet with AK after the flop even when I don't hit it. I still get the same fold rate, but I get out pretty quickly if I'm called or reraised.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:55 AM

I can think of a good reason to check w/a-k - if there's not a lot of people in the pot - probably more only 1-2 other players - and the flop comes a-2-2, and you're reasonably sure - the other players have 2 face cards - such as q-j, k-q, etc. then you are such a huge HUGE favorite that it won't hurt you to see a free card.. if they can pair up by hitting their k or q then you may at least get a call out of them, a-k vs. k-q after a flop of a-2-2 - k-q now has a TWO percent chance to win, about the same for j-10, q-j, or just about any cards except a pocket pair, which still only has about 8% chance to hit, checking the flop may induce a bluff bet later, or think you are bluffing and make them call. A little more scarier if you figure them for a pp, but if you are pretty sure it's the straightfoward player playing any 2 big cards.. why drive him out when he has 2% chance to win? Sorry if someone else posted this I just read about half of the posts.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:13 AM

What line would you take in the rare case the flop hit Q J 10 rainbow? Fire out or check?
Old 01-25-2005, 04:27 AM

This is obviously an exception, but the other night I was SB and I completed in the dark. Flop came 2 diamonds and a blank, looked at my cards to see AKd. I smiled, made a sizable raise and took down the pot. I could have just checked it, but at that point I was more than happy to take blinds/flop bets since I was on a draw.

Also, got AKo same night, flop came 999. Checked along with everyone else, I think there was a little turn action but river it was a check around again; at this point, we were all afraid someone had made the full. Showdown, first guy shows just an ace, second guy shows just an ace, I show AK and bust second guy. Too bad I wound up placing third and for like the 8th time in a row, finished outside the money.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:37 AM

Bet out. A set has a lot of outs against you.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:47 AM

If you check QJT with AK a set will definitely bet that flop.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:03 AM

In general, yes but checking every once in a while isn't that bad.