Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Reno trip report (long and boring crosspost)

[ QUOTE ]
I have witnesses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Either they are willing to lie, or you are lying to cover up your initial lie.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have witnesses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Either they are willing to lie, or you are lying to cover up your initial lie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being mean is very un-Dude-like. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Another Reno Trip Report

Since nolanfan34 has already started a Reno trip report thread, I thought I'd add my even longer and more boring Reno weekend report here too. This is really long, so if you want a summary, skip to the bottom.

Went to Reno with 2 friends who have little B&M experieince and no online experience, so the goal was to play cheap poker. Too bad we didn't know that Cal-Neva had Magoo limits, we would have went there instead of:

BOOMTOWN: AKA Rock City. Got there about 2, poker room is small and they had only 1 2-4 table going. Took about 30 minutes for all of us to get seats. 2 college kids and 5 old timers (a LOT older then me and I'm 48). No one appreciated any pre-flop raising which is totally contrary to my beliefs so after a couple hours, it was off to downtown with my $5 profit. The blackjack at Boomtown is great, but I think I'll pass on the poker there from now on.

After a rum drink at Rum Buillons in the Silver Legacy, it was off to Circus Circus (Hereafter known as C2). They had 3 3-6 games going, 2 with half kill, 1 normal. We all got seated at the same half kill table and immediately this hand came up:
I'm in CO, buddy 1 is MP2. I have AQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raise. The 2 limpers and my buddy calls. Flop is 7,6,3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], everyone checks, I bet and only 1 limper drops. Turn is an 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Limper 1 bets, buddy raises, I 3 bet, they both call. River is a blank, same betting scenario as turn, but this time limper 1 folds and my buddy re-raises me. He had a [censored]-eating grin on his face, so I called, and yes, the rat bastard had the straight flush. At C2 they have bonuses for royals, straight flushes and 4 of a kind. So he got $186 for the SF plus a lot of my buyin. He had to take us to dinner for that after I spent the next 2 hours getting back ahead. At the end of the session, all 3 of us were up.

Saturday:
To the El Dorado! We got there just in time Saturday morning to open a 3-6 full kill table. After losing half of my buyin (most of it when my buddy cracked my aces with a rivered gutshot), I thought I had the hand of the trip when I was dealt KK at MP, raised and the kid in CO cold called along with my 2 friends in the blinds. Flop was AKT. I bet, kid raised, 2 friends called and I reraised and kid caps and both friends drop. Turn was a 4, I checked, kid bet, I raised, kid reraised, both friends drop and I call figuring I ran into QJ. River was another ace. Now I had never had a red bull before, but after a night of Capains and cokes, I had drank 2 of them (They are free at the El Dorado)and that must have been what was causing my hands to shake as the kid and I raised and reraised each other a couple times. He flipped his TT and his full house was 2nd best to mine. After that, it was monotany for a couple hours and I left the session up 15 BBs.

Next time anyone is in downtown Reno, head down to the Nugget on Virginia street and get an "Awful Awful" burger. For only $3.50, you get a basket of fries and the best buger east of Mike's in Cotati.

After some pawn shop cruising, we headed back to C2 and got back into the 3/6 kill. Now the blinds for C2 are only $1 and $2, so there is always a lot of action. Raising in late position or the blinds just means that the people already in (usually 6 or 7) just call the raise and wait for you to bet the flop. In the first 10 hands of that session, I lost AA and KK to 74o and 97o. After that, I figured it was time to raise the stakes and so every time I was first in, it was a raise. Group 4 or better in late position, it was a raise. Throw in a couple of straddles and this led to the game becoming a kill game most of the time (at the C2, pots had to be above $60 to become a kill). It was during one of these kill pots (I was in BB with 3,4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) when the flop game 6, 5, 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I knew i had the nut since the dealer had to burn the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] pf. After a raised flop, capped turn and called river, I too had won a SF bonus and had to take my friends out to dinner. Only downside was that I couldn't pay back my friend for busting my Ace high flush the previous night. He bailed on the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

After spending Friday night in a room with 2 sleep apnea impaired guys, I was determined to play poker as long as possible Saturday night. So, off to El Dorado. I was hoping for a 6-12 game, but the highest they were running was a 4-8, which was full. Time for 3-6 kill again. As usual, I lost half of my initial buyin within the first hour. AKs steal attempt in a kill pot met 94o and lost on a board of A9984 [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I then spent the next 4 hours folding. When I got bored doing that, I folded some more. I don't think I had ever been more card dead. The only highpoint was seeing quad fours lose when the mad egyptian threw his cards down as he was screaming at the guy next to me that he hoped he won the $76K bad beat jackpot. Too bad that his cards flew into the muck and the dealer called the hand dead [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I must say he handled it pretty well as the guy next to me with the full house pulled an amazing pile of chips to his side of the table. The rest of the morning was spent watching the guy across from me bust most everyone at the table. He was good and he was getting the right cards at the right time. That combination is pretty deadly against drunks and WSOP wannabes. He started with $60 and cashed out with over $600.

At about 5 AM, the cards started to turn and I was able to get back to within $20 of my buyin. I could of made it back against the kid who had been "playing for 10 years" and thought he was good but only knew how to raise, but the red bulls had worn off and I figured the snoring would be at a minimum so the session was over.

No poker on Sunday because we had to get back early. So in summary:

1) Skip Boomtown (at least on a Friday afternoon)
2) Play El Dorado if you want free Red Bulls and like full kill games.
3) Play Circus Circus if you like hand bonuses, cheap blinds and the 80 year old cocktail waitresses.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Another Reno Trip Report

So, when were you there? Did we ever play at the same table at the Eldorado? For some reason we never made it over to Circus Circus.

I was just there this past weekend.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That was about when I decided it was time to pop another cherry and blind straddle.

[/ QUOTE ]
WARNING! Imposter Alert!

[/ QUOTE ]I have my doubts too, he must have been wasted if he did this. whatdya have Scott, like 3 beers? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The range of profitable hands expands greatly when you’ve had 7 beers and play expertly post-flop like I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've mastered the 7 beers part ...

Nice report. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 PM

I was there this weekend too. Our paths might have crossed Saturday afternoon (11AM-3PM on table 1) or Late Saturday night/Sunday morning (11PM to 6AM on table 3)at the El Dorado.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was there this weekend too. Our paths might have crossed Saturday afternoon (11AM-3PM on table 1) or Late Saturday night/Sunday morning (11PM to 6AM on table 3)at the El Dorado.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sat. afternoon, no. Sat night, yes, although we weren't at the same table. My friend and I were on the table right in the middle of the room, on the side closest to table 2. We were pretty loud and obnoxious I think. We kept calling this one guy our nemesis, because he kept beating us in pots. So if you heard people yelling "uh oh, Nemesis is in the hand, I'm folding" that was us.

I wondered if there were any 2+2 posters there. There was only one guy all weekend that I played with who I thought might be, because he played very well post-flop.