Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 02:22 AM

Default requirements

What is the needed spec for RAM , processor etc for running pokertracker, gametime and multitabling 4 tables at a time comfortably ?

Also, if any one has a laptop in mind which can do this ?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: requirements

I can't run those at the same time.
My computer is circa 1999.

PIII - 500 MHz
256MB RAM

Craptabular.
I can only 4-table if I have nothing else running. Sometimes Internet Explorer crashes my machine.

Even with a fast system, Gametime bogs your system down.
Just use export notes after every session.
That's what I do.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:28 AM

I have an AMD 1.7 with 1 gb ram and I wouldn't want to have any lower processer than that. I had a system crash when I had 8 tables, PT, GT+, mozilla, explorer, and notepad running. If I run 4 tables, PT, GT+ and mozilla I'm fine. I would like a faster processer for table selection purposes (I only play 4 but like to have 8 open for data mining). I'm not sure but the ram might be overkill, i.e. 512 with a better processer might do the trick.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:29 AM

512 MB will do the trick... with 128 MB my system would freeze up when I added a 4th table....with 512 MB I can have 20 tables going, PT autoimporting, Playerview running, and have 10 or so other windows up and it just starts to get a little slow so 512 MB is plenty
Old 01-24-2005, 07:04 PM

The main difficulty with multitabling on a laptop is the screen resolution, as most laptops only go up to 1280x1024. The only way around this is mini-view or dealing with a slight overlap.

Most budget computers nowadays can handle all of the above. The only thing you really don't want to cheap out on is RAM, especially when it's so cheap nowadays. 512MB is a necessity for WinXP.

I made a system for my brother about a year ago with an Athlon 2000+ and a Shuttle nForce2 mobo, but only gave him 256MB RAM. When I go home on the holidays and use that thing it runs as slow as molasses, mostly because of RAM (and the fact that he's using a 5400rpm drive as his OS drive, don't ask me why he changed it to that).

Cliff notes: Budget computers are fine (2.0Ghz+ CPU), just make sure you get 512+ MB RAM.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:17 PM

i have 1.2 ghz , with 512 RAM,XP, with a CRT of max 1600x1200 possible though I am running the monitor at 800 x 600. So how many tables can I run with PT and GT safely.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:28 AM

Probably at least 4 Party tables. It's really system dependent though, but just open up a few tablse and if it feels like it's lagging cut back 1 or 2 tables. It's really not that hard to figure out, your computer doesn't blow up or anything if you have too many tables open.