Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Should I try playing on the internet ?

I usually play at pokerroom.com with play money, and I do fairly well. I'd really like to play at some low stakes NL holdem tables for real money. Is it a good idea ? Is it profitable ?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Should I try playing on the internet ?

[ QUOTE ]
I usually play at pokerroom.com with play money, and I do fairly well. I'd really like to play at some low stakes NL holdem tables for real money. Is it a good idea ? Is it profitable ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing well with play money means almost nothing, but yes, playing small stakes online can be somewhat profitable. But even if it's not, as long as you keep it within reason, it can still be cheap entertainment. Just throw in $25 and give it a shot - good luck!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:10 PM

Make sure you have read some poker literature, hopefully from 2+2, as it will give you a good basis and a head start over most of your online competition before you start playing online for real dinero.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:24 PM

Play money experience play is irrelevant. IMO I have to play for at least SOME money or my opponents won't be taking it seriously enough for me to get any satisfaction out of winning. Try $25 and see what happens, but don't put any faith in anything you've see at the play money tables.

Slim
Old 01-24-2005, 10:43 PM

Yeah, I'm actually reading the theory of poker right now. It's how I found out about this website. I think it's hurt my game somewhat though, because when I play with my friends I make smart moves that don't work on kids who don't know what they're doing. I want to see what it will be like playing agaisnt some other people on the net.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...I make smart moves that don't work on kids who don't know what they're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That lesson cost me learn. I started playing a lot better on the net once I realized this. Play good, solid poker. Just imagine the face on the 23-year-old college freshman on the other side of the screen (who thinks he's quite the player) when you outkick his A9o at the showdown. He'll never even know why he lost. Good luck.

Slim
Old 01-25-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm actually reading the theory of poker right now. It's how I found out about this website. I think it's hurt my game somewhat though, because when I play with my friends I make smart moves that don't work on kids who don't know what they're doing. I want to see what it will be like playing agaisnt some other people on the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Small Stakes Hold'em. It's specifically geared towards playing in games where your opponents don't think. It's a limit book, so I'm not sure if you play limit or no limit. SSH assumes that your opponents will "play too many hands and go too far with them." Which are exactly the kinds of opponents you'll find at the stakes you'll be playing.

Edit: Just saw that you play NL. SSH is still a good read though.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:18 AM

i wouldn't assume your success rate will transfer immediately. i went from consistently dominating the poker room play tables to losing pretty much every time on the .25/.50 real tables. it took a little while to get the hang of it. so, i'd say, yeah, go for it, but make sure you deposit enough to take advantage of the bonus (i.e. put a little more than $25, if you can)
Old 01-25-2005, 02:31 AM

If you want to start safe, get an account at PokerStars. They have some extremely small real money NL games, with blinds as low as 0.01 / 0.02. (Buyins are up to $5 in this game.) It doesn't seem like a lot of cash but you will notice an immediate improvement in the general standard of play compared to play money tables. If you can spare $50 I would say jump into this game and see how you go.

If you have more money you don't mind losing, get onto Party Poker and join the smallest NL game there, which has blinds of 0.25 / 0.50 and a $25 buy-in. You will likely lose for a while until you get the hang of this game, however. (It's not tough, but it's tougher than play money.)
Old 01-27-2005, 06:48 PM

I strongly recommend reading Homers starting a bankroll for newbies thread in the Internet Poker forum. I started with $10.00 on Party a month ago. My bankroll is now at $396.00. It has great advice on how to maximize all the bonuses offered.

ALSO, there are several affiliates that will deposit $50 - $75 into a new partypoker acct with NO strings attached (see the classifieds). They do this because Party pays them to sign you up. This way you start with a bankroll of $50.00 and there is no risk. If you lose, it wasn't your money. If you win, well, that's even better!