Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 08:39 PM

Default 99 and AA hands - what would you do?

Check these out for me and tell me what you think.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (11.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (12 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: 99 and AA hands - what would you do?

Hand 1 is a good spot to go for a check-raise on the flop to knock out overcards.

Hand 2 I'd raise preflop and 3-bet the turn. It's a bit early to worry about 10-8 here.

Hand 3 is standard.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:58 PM

Interesting thoughts. Hopefully will see some more opinions and I will post the results.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 PM

hi

hand 1:
consider raising preflop (this is often discussed, limping is ok too). on the flop, the pot is large, the board is drawless, and you can be pretty sure MP3 will bet. I'd try check raising to get MP1 and MP2 to fold. this can really help your chances to win this pot. (whereas leading outright would not, i think). when that blank falls i'd be inclined to bet the turn. when it's 2 bets back to you i think it's a good fold. notice that had you bet, and if it had only been 1 bet to you, you could probably call hoping to hit a higher 2 pair (unless BB has a set).

hand 2:
same pf raise with 99 (esp since you can possibly fold the BB and be playing against 2 people = good things for 99). I'd 3-bet the turn and lead the river...

hand 3-
well played.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:52 PM

Mr. Baffert,
If I may suggest, it might be better to post each hand separately. That way you'll get different threads on each hand that you can track.

Welcome to my nightmare! As which 99 hands have been for me. It seems people here are in love w/this hand, but not sure I agree. In early position, I am not convinced yet that this is a profitable hand.

Hand 1: I think you played it well although a check-raise might also have been interesting.

Hand 2: Here is where I might've tried to check raise. Although, with 2 sooted on the board, the bet out is safer to protect your hand. I'm not sure of the cold-calling 2 bets on the river, but the pot is definitely big enough to see the finish.

Hand 3: Interesting hand. Here the third A probably hurt you.

Good posts!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:08 PM

In hand 2, am I wrong for folding the river with coldcalling two bets, and not pairing the board? I think my losing streak has turned me weak-tight, so I'm seeing flush and straight everywhere I turn. Are we going to be good here 1 in 9 times?
Old 01-24-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In hand 2, am I wrong for folding the river with coldcalling two bets, and not pairing the board? I think my losing streak has turned me weak-tight, so I'm seeing flush and straight everywhere I turn. Are we going to be good here 1 in 9 times?

[/ QUOTE ]
Against random hands, yes. Against the action you got on the turn when the A hit, maybe. This has happened to me a couple of times and I got a little bit crazy. I have since decided to play it like you did. Just end the action. [cliche]You are either way ahead or way behind.[/cliche]
Old 01-24-2005, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the advice/thoughts. All 3 hands lost. I guess I might have posted a winner but these really bothered me. It was a short 1 hour session on 4 tables and I had a nice winning session but these 3 losses stuck in my head.

What happened?

Hand 1
BB won. He won with a pair of 2's at the end. His hole cards were 2s6s. I had him beat and he reraised with a pair of twos and I got bluffed right out of the pot. The other stayed till the end had big slick offsuit. I should have stayed with high pair in my hand. The raise and reraise got me.

Hand 2
BB won this one also. He caught a 5-9 straight on the last card. I am a bit confused why he raised preflop with 4d 8d. Just does not seem like something normal to do. Not sure how else I could have played this one myself. I doubt he would have left with more betting pressure since he seemed very committed from the start. May add this foe to my buddy list for future business.

Hand 3
Again beat by a straight. That 3rd ace for me was the end of his straight. His Td Kd play was not terrible in my eyes because the flop helped him somewhat. I cannot say I would change my play here. I had a pretty good feeling he had the straight when he bet as soon as that ace fell but it was worth the last call to see if the three aces I held would hold up.

I really only think I could have changed my destiny in the 1st one by staying the course. Maybe in the 2nd I could have put more money in but I am not sure this guy was going anywhere. I normally raise with TT and up paired and maybe a raise/reraise in both of the 99 losers would have sent the eventual winners out of the pot.

Thanks for the advice. All the comments help.