Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Coach told me this was an \"unusual\" play.

[ QUOTE ]
The advice here is pretty off. I'm finding some way to continue with this hand on the flop, either through calling or (probably) raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate,

I think checkraising is definitely better than check-calling here. With the possibility of driving MP2 out, I can't see calling the flop being a good play at all though.

Rob
Old 01-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Calling the flop is the worst option. Raising is OK, folding is probably best.

I don't like trying to semi-bluff checkraise 2 players, especially with this board. There is little value in it.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The advice here is pretty off. I'm finding some way to continue with this hand on the flop, either through calling or (probably) raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate,

I think checkraising is definitely better than check-calling here. With the possibility of driving MP2 out, I can't see calling the flop being a good play at all though.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot better than folding. You have the best hand half the time or so.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:11 PM

Raising the flop? Am I missing something here? Hero is first to act, therefore can only bet, check-call, or check-raise. Are the proponents of raising the flop just using the term "raise" to mean "check-raise" here?

Also, with regards to the 2 outs (the 5 cards)...Do we really want to see the 5 hit and put a 4 card straight on the board? Or is that not to be considered dangerous with only 2 other players in the hand?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your reasoning behind calling the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies for not including the following reads. I had not been at the table long but MP2 was a perfect LP. He could have anything including nothing. Coach is an ABC player. I felt he would be playing overcards or a better pair. I thought I might have the best hand off of feel and tells from Coach...can't really put it on more than that. Admittedly a very loose call from my typical play. Being new to the table (this might have been the first hand I entered) I thought a little wildness might not be the worst thing.

I would not typically limp here with a low-pair but the table seemed right and MP2 was playing almost every hand and giving away money so I thought it was warranted.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your reasoning behind calling the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies for not including the following reads. I had not been at the table long but MP2 was a perfect LP. He could have anything including nothing. Coach is an ABC player. I felt he would be playing overcards or a better pair. I thought I might have the best hand off of feel and tells from Coach...can't really put it on more than that. Admittedly a very loose call from my typical play. Being new to the table (this might have been the first hand I entered) I thought a little wildness might not be the worst thing.

I would not typically limp here with a low-pair but the table seemed right and MP2 was playing almost every hand and giving away money so I thought it was warranted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but why not checkraise the flop? I think this is the best play by far, especially when coach is an ABC player.

Rob
Old 01-24-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if you think you are facing overcards then you can't like your two 5 outs very much can you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I follow. Wouldn't a set of fives be good against overcards?

My play here was largely based on two reads which I apologize for not including in the original. Coach is ABC. I had him on overcards or a pair bigger than mine, but I thought I might have the best hand on the flop and I felt I could push him around (didn't fear a 3-bet on the turn, for example). MP2 is a perfect LP; almost every hand, all kinds of junk, I basically discounted his presence. I would not play this hand UTG but the table was soft and MP2 was giving his money away so it seemed right.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:36 PM

Coach is an ABC player. I felt he would be playing overcards or a better pair.

Check/raise the flop and fire at this turn. I don't understand the turn check/raise after the flop check/call. I would either come out betting or check/call again after check/calling the flop.

Brad
Old 01-24-2005, 07:40 PM

would an Ace be included in "likely overcards that the ABC Player would hold?" If so look at the board again and see why a 5 is vey bad. If you still don't get it....

Ugly
Old 01-24-2005, 07:46 PM

already been said, deleted my post