Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 01-24-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: mary and joseph... lets recap

Message boards are hard to understand, I sypmathize.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the guy is a cown. sorry. he is lucky he was alive when he was alive. cause there is no way in hell he is beating the current top NL players. any games he is playing in he is losing and being staked.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. If it wasn't for Doyle Brunson and his book, most of these "current" top NL players wouldn't even know how to play NL holdem. And as for him struggling to beat the 5/10 stars game,,,,well I don't play in this game but this seems just plain silly.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:00 PM

Only way you can say this is if you refuse to believe the other top players in the game are telling the truth, i.e. Chip Reese, Daniel Negreanu, Barry Greenstein, Phil Ivey, etc... They all say Doyle is a winner in that game. Howard Lederer said that the idea of Doyle Brunson being backed is laughable. Poker at the higher levels is about feel, and it is a people game; not a card game as you seem to believe. This means that "sound mathematical judgement" is not the most important trait to possess to beat those games. Again, I doubt you possess the intuition or "feel" needed to excel at those games. Most math types don't. And, by the way, I would never waste my time trying to impress you.

MagikKid
Old 01-24-2005, 01:00 PM

What basis do you have for this argument? Do you talk with Doyle regularly about his winnings/losings in poker? Guy's nasty at poker.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:19 PM

Individual what?

I get the feeling poker is just not your game. I know- let's have a spelling contest! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

MagikKid
Old 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Brunson could smack Stars 5/10

I'm a regular at the Stars 5/10 game, and even though it isnt the softest no limit game online, Doyle Brunson would have little trouble beating it. I'm not sure how badly he would beat it, as I've never played with him, but to say that he would not be a winning player is just ridiculous.

I dont know what you mean by "feel," but physical reading of another player is a relatively small factor. And I'm confused by your emphasis on "sound mathematical judgment." If by "sound mathematical judgment" you mean something that Doyle Brunson is not capable of (ie complex calculations about EV in multiway pots, the precise odds of someone at the table holding a pair higher than his JJ after 3 ep folds, etc), then I think you are greatly mistaken about "sound mathematical judgment" being important to winning at no limit holdem.

Calculations of this sort are NOT important to winning at this game. A basic knowledge of odds and certain "mathematical" poker concepts is needed, but Doyle Brunson has this knowledge.

Success at the table has to do primarily with one's general comprehension of the game and implementing a successful strategy for the table. Brunson's comprehension of the game of no limit holdem is very advanced, regardless of whatever weird assumptions about "feel" you have somehow picked up.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Brunson could smack Stars 5/10

Saying something acinine like "Doyle Brunson" couldnt beat the 5-10 Stars game is such a farce that Im suprised you got so many respondants.

Basically, some donkey like the poster saying, that Doyle cant beat the 5-10 game online, is like some table tennis pro calling out Serena Williams for not being able to beat the Table tennis game at the local VFW...

1) Who cares if he-she can or can't as the stakes are too low for either Brunson or Serena to waste their time playing it.

2) They are completely different games(just as uber-high limits live games and mid limit online games are completely different)

3) If an athlete or poker player with the talents of either Serena or Doyle repctively applied themselves they most probably could beat the lesser game...but again- Why would they bother at the stakes being offered??

I also find it curious that people seem WAY MORE outraged when Raymer's skills are questioned than when Doyles are.

Guess thats 2+2 for you......
Old 01-24-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Brunson could smack Stars 5/10

[ QUOTE ]
I also find it curious that people seem WAY MORE outraged when Raymer's skills are questioned than when Doyles are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the assertions made in this thread are so utterly ridiculous that the majority of posters aren't even wasting there time telling this guy what a jerk off he is.