Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Bad Idea, Here\'s Why

Jeez, gnu, you live in a dark world.

Still, I absolutely agree with what you've said here so I guess I am a resident also.

Cheers,
--JTR.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:47 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: JTR-Bad Idea Here\'s Why

[ QUOTE ]
Jeez, gnu, you live in a dark world.

Still, I absolutely agree with what you've said here so I guess I am a resident also.

Cheers,
--JTR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately it's a world known as reality. *smirk*

After I hit 20 I became quite an apathetic person. Disintrested in the political process (since only the ultra-wealthy have the resources and free time necessary to run for office)

I realized that life is extremely short, it flys by very quickly. That's why I try my best to only work 32 hours per week. I could snag 40-48 hours a week easily, but I'd rather enjoy my free time. Kinda hampers my disposable income a bit, but time to me is more valuable.

But yeah, I guess I do live in a dark world. I used to be a very giving person in my younger years, and found that people tend to take advantage of you. Now I'm pretty selfish and all about taking care of me first.

I don't like being bothered with others annoying habits I had a roommate who would go and grab the bag of dorito's, munch munch munch, then crinkle crinkle crinkle the bag closed. Then he'd get back up a minute later and do it again. It's like, dude, get a friggin bowl instead of making all that friggin noise!

This same roommate I saw enter my bedroom (I was in my computer room with the door open). So he comes out of my bedroom holding one of my Maxim magazines, looks at me, says "sh*tter" and then goes to the bathroom. I'm thinking to myself "um, if I wanted you to be reading that on the can, I'd have left it in there!"

And whenever I'd go out to eat at Friendlies with my buds, they'd ALWAYS try to shaft me with more of the bill than I was responsible for. They'd always come up short, or try to say they didn't owe as much as they did (tried to not include tax, tip, etc) So I started getting a separate check.

Then you get the "friends" who only call you when they want something (i.e. they're moving and don't want to pay movers, so they bother you). And people who just show up at your place unannounced, looking to hang out (I'm a very personal and selfish person, if I want to hang out with you, I'll give you a call. Or at least give ME a call in ADVANCE and that way I won't be sitting around in my boxers, scratching myself when you show up)

I guess I just don't like being bothered or inconvenienced. Maybe I have a lot of rude people in my life. Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man at the age of 28.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Bad Idea, Here\'s Why

I'd say he lives in the real world and to a degree he could be sugar coating things. If you want to make the percentage play, think this way.

The roommates will be unreliable, period. They will have things about them that are not good or that you will not like or be able to accept. And thats not necessarily saying anything bad about them, the same can be said about anyone. Its just the way it is. You want to make yourself a new enemy? Live with them for a few months.

As for the trust issue, thats easy. No. Not gonna happen. Naturally there are exceptions, and miracles do happen, but thats the percentage play.

As always, govern yourself accordingly.....
Old 01-24-2005, 12:59 PM

Hear, Hear.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:50 PM

I will attest to gnu, I've had plenty of bad roomates. I agree -- want to lose a friend? Rent a place with them. When I first moved out of my folks house at 21 I became the person responsible for a 4 bedroom house. I had to forcibly throw out a friend that couldn't come up with rent, bad situation. Money issues often complicate relationships whether it's with friends or significant others.

I still say go for it though. Try it out, you can always get a job flipping burgers if it doesn't pan out. Just talk with your friends and try to agree that if anyone backs out at any point, no harsh feelings.

When you start, you will have issues that some disagree on. Come up with a system for problem resolution. Since there's 3 of you, this should be easy to work out. Vote on everything. Odd man out may get upset, but that's part of business.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:54 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Warewulf-Bad Idea Here\'s Why

[ QUOTE ]
I will attest to gnu, I've had plenty of bad roomates. I agree -- want to lose a friend? Rent a place with them. When I first moved out of my folks house at 21 I became the person responsible for a 4 bedroom house. I had to forcibly throw out a friend that couldn't come up with rent, bad situation. Money issues often complicate relationships whether it's with friends or significant others.

I still say go for it though. Try it out, you can always get a job flipping burgers if it doesn't pan out. Just talk with your friends and try to agree that if anyone backs out at any point, no harsh feelings.

When you start, you will have issues that some disagree on. Come up with a system for problem resolution. Since there's 3 of you, this should be easy to work out. Vote on everything. Odd man out may get upset, but that's part of business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think it's going to end up with at least one of them feeling held back, like he's carrying the burden of the other two. Poker players tend to have pretty large egos about their own abilities and skills. When you have to support two other "lesser" players, or you are the lesser player, I expect you'll have problems.

Just don't say I didn't warn ya. :P