Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 08:15 PM

Default The ultimate ethical question

As we all know, the maniac opponent can be at once the most problematic, and most profitable player, to meet at a table. When you are sitting with a maniac, you can make or lose more in an hour than grinding for 5 hours would give you. Finding out what makes these people tick--what motivates them, what puts them on tilt, etc.--could be very helpful information to know. Since reading the "open letter to the problem gambler" a few weeks ago, I have toyed with the idea of attending a G.A. program just to observe compulsive gamblers up close and to hear their stories. Part of my motivation is voyeurism I admit (a la Fight Club), and that is a despicable reason. But part of my motivation also comes from realizing that this is opposition research better than Al Schoonmaker's book could ever provide. Is this a legitimate reason, or is there a special place in hell reserved for me? Discuss. (Your input really will influence my decision about whether to follow through with this idea).
Old 01-22-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: The ultimate ethical question

Remember to bring a camera-ready cell phone so you can snap pictures and look around for familiar faces the next time that you're in the poker room.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:21 PM

I think there might be a warm and cozy place in hell for you.

But whatever, go ahead and go if you think it is right for you. Nobody will get hurt.

Tell later how it was.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:12 PM

If GA is like AA then I think you have to have a sponsor to start attending meetings. That's the guy with the ethical problem.

Another note: my view is that every maniac has a different trigger but I could be wrong.

Let us know if you decide to check it out.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:48 AM

You don't need a sponsor to attend an AA, GA, NA, SA, OA, &etc meeting. You can drop in any time. That's kinda the point.

Meetings can vary greatly in size, newcomers will definately be noticed at smaller meetings. They'll usually ask if anyone is new and may ask if you'd like to introduce yourself. Could be an awkward moment, but they're used to people who are pretty freaked out, embarrased and shy about the whole thing so just politely decline.

That being said, I can't think of anything sleazier, except maybe cruising Sexaholics Anonymous for dates...
Old 01-23-2005, 01:05 AM

I think the GA regulars will also be quite amused by the "research" angle. I'm sure that's one they never heard before . . . [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 01-23-2005, 01:06 AM

I think that its good that you're trying to take your game to the next level, but if you have to stop and ask yourself whether or not your plan is ethical, then maybe you should re-evaluate it and go with what your gut (not your wallet), tells you.

IMO, attending GA meetings for the specific purpose of learning how to take advantage of these people is dreadfully immoral. This would be like the owner of Budweiser attending AA meetings to figure out what makes alcoholics want to drink so that he can maximize his profits.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Finding out what makes these people tick--what motivates them, what puts them on tilt, etc.--could be very helpful information to know.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you really gonna do? Show up and interview people? Ask only for poker players? The individual stories only change the faces and the places. At the core of their disease are things like obsession and compulsion. They can't stop thinking about the next high/action/win (obsession) and once they act, they're powerless to stop (compulsion). I don't seee how you'll benefit from individual stories unless that particular person shows up at your game. If you want to know more about addiction buy a book. I don't see how going to a meeting will help your game one bit.

Russ
Old 01-23-2005, 05:20 AM

Honestly...u attending these meetings wont help u understand the situation any more than u do now...everyone has a different reason for addcition...mania play...etc. Seeing a few of these people in a meeting is gonna be no different than seeing them online or in a live game. And quite frankly even asking them u wont learn much, b/c most peoples views of themselves, espeically people seeking help for a problem will be twisted and schewed. Think about it...how quickly, even with documented proof, r we to admit and face up to our faults and/or shortcomings?
If it mentally makes u feel like u learned something then thats ur choice...but if ur unsure of it then i dont think its gonna really help u in the long run
Old 01-23-2005, 11:44 AM

Derek u really must love money, and i think there are a place in hell for u... not all the way down to section nine but atleast 8.... 7 if u are a nice person besides your need to destroy people.