Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 05:30 PM

Default How do you handle this?

I'm sure everyone has been to a table like this. One player sits down and decides to play as agressively as possible. He raises preflop and he bet or raises every time its his turn. Sometimes he is playing good cards but most of the time he is just betting for who knows what reason.

Alot of the "rules" I have in my head don't know what to make of this. I generally don't like to cold call two bets before the flop unless I have AA-QQ or AKs. Do I throw this idea out the window? Does it matter whether this guy sits on my left or right?

I generally get excited when one of these types of players sits down at my table but when I don't make my hand it ends up being expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: How do you handle this?

When there is a wild agressive player at my table, I tend to play fewer suited cards and connecters since there will be less people in the pot. Drawing hands are worse, high cards are better. Also, if you make your hand, you can often get the aggressor to help bid it for you.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:23 PM

i agree joe, but there is one more very important point about letting him bet it for you:

sit on his right!

...make the nuts, let him bet, the rest of the table calls, you raise... repeat.

or if you have QQ ore something and only want a few people in the pot, bet, let him make an isolation reraise.

...and don't fold while in a raised pot with him, even if you only have ace high. check-call

one or two big hands will make you're whole session a winner!

position is everything!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:18 PM

If he is truly in every hand then I can see wanting him on your left (sit to his right) but what if he is less predictable about when he will play? You know if he is entering a pot it will be with a raise but you don't know when he will enter a pot. If you are on his left you have the benefit of him acting first. I also think that sitting on his left allows you to isolate him when you have a good hand by re-raising and shutting out the others. If several people call ahead of you and then you raise, they will likely call the raise since the pot is so big and they are invested already. Now the pot is huge and everyone has odds to chase draws to beat your big cards.

Just a thought...
Old 01-21-2005, 10:33 PM

Don't limp with anything you don't want to play for 2 bets preflop.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:00 PM

You should not be coldcalling AA-QQ and AKs preflop.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:27 PM

I was at one of these tables today. I was able to take advantage to a lesser degree than somone else, but at a $20 NL buy-in, with .05 and .10 blinds, he ran through at least $50, probably closer to $70.
The guy re-raised a .10 big blind to .90 with crap like 5/3 ... I started to play just a little looser and wound up doubling my $20 to $40 in about an hour. If I didn't have to go to work, I would have stayed and kept playing with this moron.
Anyway, you can take two approaches. 1) Play very tight and wait for great hands to take lots of money; or 2) play a little looser and take flops with connectors and suited cards that you possibly wouldn't do normally in a raised pot.
I'd stick to strategy 1, maybe occasionally taking a shot at 2 depending on the cards.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 AM

I generally don't like to cold call two bets before the flop unless I have AA-QQ or AKs.

You generally should only be cold-calling 2-bets preflop with hands like AQs, AJs and KQs. With anything else, you either reraise or fold. Against someone who's raising almost every hand, if nobody else has called his raise, I'm 3-betting with AA-88, AKo, AKs-AJs