Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Is this a leak or just variance?

We've all got our "buddies" that we follow around. Some of mine are kicking my ass! I've been playing the 5/10 6-max for about a month. This sample is from the 15K hands I've played since Jan. 1.

Is this too small of a sample size to worry about or am I pushing these guys too hard. I guess I just don't give them credit for having anything and then at showdown I'm getting killed. The usual sob stories, TPTK gets rivered by straight or flush, my middle pair h/u loses to higher pair caught on turn or river,... you get the idea.

Am I tilting against these guys? Could I be pushing too hard giving them odds to call to their draws? Or is this just normal variance due to the fact that these guys are always in the pot and 1 or 2 big pots going my way will swing these numbers to the good for me?

Old 01-22-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Is this a leak or just variance?

its the normal variance.what u need 2 do is tighten up ur starting hands.2 combat very loose players who think any 2 cards can win u must play only catagory 1 hands and some strong catagory 2 hands.pick up sklansky's"texas hold-em for advanced players.read the first 2 chapters and then u will start 2 kill the game

good luck

the shark
Old 01-22-2005, 07:51 PM

That is terrible advice.

-SmileyEH
Old 01-22-2005, 08:44 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you're probably overplaying your hands
Old 01-22-2005, 08:47 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

based on the advice you've been giving, and the matter in which you give it, it's pretty obvious that you're nowhere near as good as you think you are
Old 01-22-2005, 10:18 PM

Shark I have no idea what you are saying but it's probably wrong. Post in english or not at all. This is probably just variance ... is this your entire buddy list, probably not. How are you doing overall?
Old 01-22-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this your entire buddy list, probably not. How are you doing overall?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this snapshot is edited to show my worst performers with 30+ hands or so. I'm winning .84 BB/100 for almost 15K hands so far this month overall (means nothing yet, I know). My VPIP is 23, PFR is 13.4 and AF post flop is 3.0/3.4/2.7. I only dabbled in 5/10 6-max prior to this month so that is why I am filtering the data for January only.

Here's my strategy:

- If I'm to the LEFT of the target I loosen up slightly when he enters the pot and almost always put in a raise to try to isolate him. If I catch any peace of the flop I usually push unless it looks ultra scary. I try to play my normal game on 4th and 5th streets.

- If I'm to the RIGHT of the target I play my normal hands pre-flop. If we happen to both be in the hand post-flop and it is heads-up or 3 handed I usually check-raise if I have something worth playing on the flop. I don't know why I do this. Probably a tilt-like funk I'm in due to suck out syndrome [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I think this is one of my leaks in this situation because I am then giving odds for him to draw to just about anything.

I have not analyzed this to the point of IF I am doing better or worse than these particar players in reference to my position on them.

Any thoughts on the above or other specific strategies?

Thanks!