Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Would you have made the same laydown?

Very small limit cash game - .05/.10 blinds.. most buy in for $5-10.. I bought in for $7

Im UTG with 9-9. I make it $.60 to go. I get 2 callers.. the SB and BB.
Flop comes 7-9-J with 2 spades (7 and 9)
SB immediately goes all-in for $9.10. He was a bit on tilt.. but the other guy in the hand calls big best with middle pair all the time, so I thought he hit the flop big (10-8 for the nut straight) and was hoping for a call from this other guy.
The guy that went all-in is a friend of mine and we have played together for about 2 years. I know his style, and the few times I have seen him make that kind of bet, he usually had the nuts, or top pair with some kind of draw.

BB thinks for a long time. He only has $4 left.. he calls.

Meanwhile, I have a set of 9s. And I really have the feeling he has 10-8. But even if he does, I have a lot of outs to a full house. If the turn doesnt pair, I have 13 outs on the river.
My stack is at about $18
With the all-ins the pot is sitting at about $15 and change.

I layed it down and sure enough the SB did have 10-8 (shitty hand to be playing with, but he loves his suited connectors - and I know this)
So in the end, I made the right read.. but was I getting good enough odds to draw to the full house?
The board did pair Js on the turn, so I would have ended up winning, but I was behind.

Would you have made the same laydown with the knowledge I had of the player all-in?
Old 01-22-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Would you have made the same laydown?

Basically what you are asking here is how much we trust your read. I dont feel like doing any math but considering the overlay you are getting from the BB and your outs to fill up you probably gotta be like 80%+ sure he has T8.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:31 AM

If your friend showed you the T8 in his hand, and we put the other guy on something plausible with a J or 9 (or maybe a big pair) you only stand to lose $1.67 in EV. If there's any significant chance that your friend would push with a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or worse then I think you can happily call here.

In the heat of the moment I would definitely have called.

Still, good read.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:39 AM

Why the pre flop raise with 9-9? Trying to steal the blinds?
Old 01-22-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the pre flop raise with 9-9? Trying to steal the blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was only 5 handed and the table was 'fairly' tight... not exactly tight in their preflop calls, but much tighter on the flop (with the exception of 1 guy)

And the other guy in the hand who had only $4 left fliped over an A-7clubs. Bottom pair.
I dont understand that kid, but I sure do love his money.