Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Am I a Total Rock?

I don't like your play or thought process, you say he has been overbetting pots all day, he limped from the SB yet you think you're behind? If you think youre behind most of the time here youre wrong. You should not worry about being outkicked. You have a reason to be worried about the flush, but would he come out and bet strong if he flopped it? I think not. You are ahead in the hand most of the time, if you push and he calls with one diamond or pair that is great for you.

If you double up (and most of the time you are a favorite to do so) you have 1400/1500 chips, enough to push around the two 700 stacks, which if you are as good as you think will be easy.

Your thought "Well theyre crappy players I can get them next time" does not apply to SNGs. You dont have forever, you think youre going to get a better spot in 20 hands? 20 hands? From the kind of situation you seem to desire you will have to wait a lot more than 20 hands.

[ QUOTE ]
If I re-raise all-in I know he's calling with a diamond, or he could possibly do some other ruthless draw out.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case you want the money in, if you think you don't want all the money in because he will have some ruthless draw out you don't know how poker is played.

[ QUOTE ]
I had this strange feeling like I knew my hand was probably better right now, but if I just folded I could handle short-stacked at 50/100 better than the other 2 players at my level and make the money more often than risking this guy hitting a diamond. So I folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of thinking is not conducive to a high SNG ROI.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:27 AM

My only thought -- how strong was your gut feeling that you had the better hand.

I guess this is a general question for the group. How often do you toss your logic and just go with the gut feeling.

For me, in a close call, I'll go with my gut and my read on the player. (I find I'm right maybe 70% - 75% of the time, but have had some spectacular misreads). I'm still working on this, but it's becoming a something I'm more and more comfortable with.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:13 PM

After rereading you post I think you're more right than you know when you talk about "Phil Hellmuth syndrome", with all the talk about worried about being drawn out. Folding hands you are ahead in because you are worried about a ruthless suckout is a big leak.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Irie found my leak

Irie,

Great post as per usual. However I found something that I'm conflicted with in there. Let me explain:

[ QUOTE ]
2. Most people are morons

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this whole-heartedly! That would suggest I have a SERIOUS problem.... perhaps.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Most people are of average intelligence, +/- 1 SD, and can be expected to behave as others of similar intelligence would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this as well.

However, I find those two quotes to be conflicted. The fact that most people of average intelligence are morons (in regards to poker at least) is what makes the game a lucrative venture for either the studious average person, or the person of higher intelligence capable of taking advantage of the typical average player. Hence, the fundamental reason I play poker online for a living.

Edit: One other thought I forgot.

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, it's not nice to consider someone a moron just because they play poker a certain way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not nice. I'm a poker player.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:40 PM

your read is the moron limps from SB so raise preflop! read irie post a few more times!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:23 PM

Default The shepherd has herded his flock

The shepherd has herded his flock.

Every single post after my original one agreed with my play and thinking. Then irieguy comes and disagrees. And every single post disagrees with my play and thinking.

Basically this post could have been me and irieguy, no one else seems to have an original thought. This thread is very telling.

So ireiguy, when someone completes their sb durring 25/50 I should push all-in with A6? That is basically the heart of the essay you wrote right.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: The shepherd has herded his flock

PM me if you'd like and we can discuss it more.

Irieguy