Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 02:33 AM

Default I make my hand, but this river is crazy!

Table is generally loose and passive pre-flop. BB is also aggressive, but UTG+1 isn't very.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (19 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 31 BB
Old 01-22-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: I make my hand, but this river is crazy!

You threw away some bets here IMO. This looks a lot like a hand that sthief09 posted a while back where the river action went the same with him holding a straight on a paired board.

When its 2 cold back to you on teh turn I'd guess you're drawing dead a pretty high proportion of the time. Your second call on the river is probably pretty close to -2 BB in EV.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:31 AM

I don't understand your flop raise here. I guess you're trying to buy position but if you're raising in the first place the paired board doesn't scare you. Why raise people out when you think your straight will be the best hand? Plus you're giving someone behind you with a jack a chance to make it 3-bets and heads up.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:38 AM

The flop raise makes zero sense for two reasons.

1) There is a pair on the flop (and people figure to like this flop). This isn't a good time to pump the flop.

2) You shut out potential callers by raising the flop. You want to get as good of a price as possible on this draw.

A case can probably be made for folding the turn when it is 2 more to you. The second call you make on the river is just a donation IMO.

Brad
Old 01-22-2005, 06:17 AM

PF: Not really sure about this but it can't be too bad either way
Flop: Raise is definatly the way to go. Youve got a great draw plus an overcard. A raise here alos has folding equity as you may be able to fold a lower pp who is afraid of a set. Once it gets 3 bet however, you must think UTG has a set b/c of his unusual flop play.
Turn: Calling the initial turn bet isn't too bad but once it comes back 3 bet to you, you may want to consider folding b/c your in bad position.

River: I'm calling this river instead of raising and folding to the cap
Old 01-22-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You threw away some bets here IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, particularly on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
When its 2 cold back to you on teh turn I'd guess you're drawing dead a pretty high proportion of the time. Your second call on the river is probably pretty close to -2 BB in EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd dump as early as the turn? I felt like the 1st turn raise was representing a set, and was expecting to get 3:1 until the original better re-raised. At that point the pot was so huge that I thought it was worth going on even though I might be drawing dead. I've seen this happen before where one player has a set and the other has a big overpair. I haven't been playing 3/6 that long, so maybe it's a bit tighter than 2/4.

I really hated hitting the river -- I felt trapped. Again, I expected to be able to pay two. Once the re-raise came around and it was capped, I probably should've dumped.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: Raise is definatly the way to go. Youve got a great draw plus an overcard. A raise here alos has folding equity as you may be able to fold a lower pp who is afraid of a set. Once it gets 3 bet however, you must think UTG has a set b/c of his unusual flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to agree with the flop raise. I felt it was routine.

Turn: Calling the initial turn bet isn't too bad but once it comes back 3 bet to you, you may want to consider folding b/c your in bad position.

[ QUOTE ]
River: I'm calling this river instead of raising and folding to the cap

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't raise - I cold-called 2. Are you suggesting a fold there or to the cap?
Old 01-22-2005, 01:21 PM

yeah i'd probboly fold once its bet and raised before me
Old 01-22-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really hated hitting the river --

[/ QUOTE ]
then why u call 3-bet on turn? you must know the guy will cap it. And when u know if u hit your card you still wont like it...just let em go. even if the turn 3 was a club id still consider moving on to the next hand!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:56 PM

I'd definately fold to two more bets on the turn, especially since you haven't made the hand yet. I'd think i'm at best drawing to 4 outs, since JK seems to be a fishy favorite. If not JK it seems like 99 may have flopped a boat. I'd figure to be drawing dead or drawing dead with huge reverse implied odds.

With only one limper and in middle position, i'd definately toss this hand PF. Anyone agree?