Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: 1/2 stud/8 hand

"but at least i didn't have the worst hand" isn't a justification for playing your hand. you don't want to get trapped with medium two pair in stud8. it'll really put a hurt on you if you get stuck to it.

that said other than 3rd street, you played the hand reasonably well. you bet when you should bet facing no resistence.

as others have alluded to, the river is a clear check/call because you don't want to face the possibility of paying two bets on the river only to split or get scoooped.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:11 AM

when playing a split game getting out the only player that looks like he may easily get the other side you are going for is most important.
here on fourth street you had an opportunity for just one more bet to charge the only guy with two low cards to pay a double bet to take a card off. worth the price and likely to get you a free card on the big bet if the cards fall okay. or enable you to get someone else to fold later if your hand loks scary. sure he most likely wont fold a four card hand, but who knows and he has a dangerous live ace. whether this raise is right or not may depend on your feelings of the other players, but to win in poker you need to see situations to exploit. look for them. they will pop out at you.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:02 PM

I'm reminded of the anecdote, I think it's in Super/System, where Sklansky watches a guy playing a high-low split hand. After he loses, the guy turns to Sklansky and asks, "well, how would you have played it." Sklansky says, "I don't know; I've never played a hand like that before."

So on fourth street, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to play, because I've never been in a multi-way pot with (88)J5 before. I can see raising to get the low hand out as an option, but I don't think that most players at this level will fold a three-card low for two bets. No one is folding a four-card low. If he has only a two card low, that means he's got three over-cards to hero's Eights, in which case we definitely want him out. This past fall, I'm sure I lost over $1000 trying to knock out people who wouldn't be knocked out. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]