Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Where did I go wrong?

Beyond the fact that the battle of information is important and there's no need to give unnecessary info like this. What about the battle of information did you want to discuss? Did this particular situation play an interesting role later you may want to share or anything like that.... Other then that I'm not sure where you want to go with this.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:04 AM

Will SB fold AK to a river bet?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:52 AM

hi esspo

this is what i don't like about the pre-flop cap. if you cap the 3-bettor on the flop, it hinders your ability to decipher his action in the later rounds of the hand when the role as leader is assigned by you to AKo against a reasonable 3-bettor. the AKo doesn't like to represent the lead here, it much prefers to fold the same hand, and the cap takes away some of your ability to do so. it also taints your read.

you see es, serious poker players whose livlihoods depend upon, in large part, their ability to put a read on their opponent, and who are good at it, incur over time an ability to improve their reads upon his and her opponents as the opponents in question become increasingly aware of the fact that they are being read by the good poker player at a level that puts the good poker player in the lead on the great scale of unmasking.

historically, the modern victorian era ingrained the importance of prudence in one's behavior through instrument of flay. the king would detect what he read as deception in one of his subjects standing before him, and order that he be purified by flay; the removal of a person's skin with skinning knives as a means of open public torture.

correspondingly, when we as students of poker unmask our opponent, while we don't remove our opponent's skin from his body, as we get better and better at handreading and unmasking our opponent's hand values, we are able to take our opponent down to bare naked level on the great scale of unmasking. this is the scale we use to register the degree of exposure our opponent feels as we use our hand reading skills to unmask our opponent's hand. the less confident your opponent is about his hand concealment value, the more he moves from tuxedo level to totally nude level on our great scale of unmasking. although you are stripping his clothes from his body and not his skin, as registered by the scale, the closer you get to bare naked, the greater the purity of your read. this is called the draweth nigh effect.

in victorian times, the jester would do three cartwheels telling the king that the skinner draweth nigh.

in this hand, the pre-flop cap doesn't allow you to draw nigh and improve upon your read. his call on the flop tells you no more than his call on the turn. he knows that you may read him as holding a Q top pair, but that he does not read you as holding such. so even if you have been unmasking his hands at a success rate that is giving your entire session against this opponent an increasing draweth nigh purity value, and the discomfort your opponent feels about the concealment of his holding is increasing telling you more and more as he squirms more and more vividly, he is afforded a shower curtain in this one hand and now squirms less so, when he knows that you can put him on Q top pair, but he also knows that you know that he can't put you on Q top pair. and that is just enough knowledge for him to be a little more confident, thus removing information that slightly taints your poker gleen.

you like shiny naked to the river.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:29 AM

if the player is too aggressive then check the turn. you should be concerned with a raise here that you have to call to chase your outs. save yourself a bet and call the river if you think your hand is good enough, enough of the time.

also, dont call out your hand. if you show your hand first out of position you give your opponent the opportunity to muck. let him show his hand first. youd be surprised how often someone in that position shows some garbage like 9T and doesnt want you to see it.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:32 AM

i disagree with just calling preflop. with another player in the hand and an overly aggressive player 3betting, your hand has so much value in this pot. i dont think you can make up the value you miss by capping postflop by just calling. aside from that, i also disagree with you that capping preflop makes the hand more difficult to play postflop. your cap preflop will keep the overly aggressive player in check, and should make it much easier to find out where you stand. if you dont cap preflop and you dont flop an A or K, it is very difficult to make it to the river without calling all the way down. that is not the situation you want to put yourself in. if you cap preflop you can dictate what streets are bet, and are able to fold if the SB shows aggression when you miss. in this hand the cap tamed the SB, and that is what you want.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read the responses after I posted initially, so I'll reiterate the fact that saying anything here is really dumb... Tommy understands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was really dumb. Yes Tommy does understand.

[ QUOTE ]
The best way to own an opponent is to know everything about him while he knows nothing about you. Very important.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the reason I posted this hand. As much for selfish reasons as for the posters on the forum I wanted someone to state that sentence. It is everything to understand why doing anything in this spot other than waiting silently for your opponent to turn over his hand is such a huge mistake. During that session I think I played as close to error free as I am capable from pre-flop to river, but I made a few non-betting errors like this one that could turn out to be very costly over the long run.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the line I usually follow, so if it is somehow wrong, I also would be very interested to know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh. From reading the other posts, I see that the point wasn't the line but the disclosure of your hand before your opponent had shown. Everywhere I'm used to playing has last aggressor show first, so I didn't see anything notable here. If this place wasn't last aggressor (which you probably should have mentioned if that was the point of the post), then yes, saying what you had is clearly bad.