Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 12:16 AM

Default QQ. get popped on the turn by a loose-passive

The button was loose-passive, I hadn't seen many raises on any streets by him/her. Here is the hand, how was my play?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
Old 01-21-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: QQ. get popped on the turn by a loose-passive

Very scary but I think you need to call down unless you are sure that the villian wouldn't play two clubs or TT the same way.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:36 AM

I am certain this player would not call a paired flop with only a backdoor flush and then raise a turn with only the flush draw. TT, JJ etc is within the realm of possiblity but only getting effective odds of about 5:1 (I'll have to call a bet on the river unless this was a stone cold bluff), I felt the chance I was ahead was too remote to call.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:18 AM

it depends on how good of a read you have on this player. how many hands have you played with him? does he know you? do you two have a history? simply labeling a guy as loose/passive isn't enough to make this a fold heads up.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:32 PM

I had no notes on this player so this was likely the first time we had played together. My read was based on the 40 or so hands I had played at the table in this session. As I said, this player raised very rarely on any street. My gut feeling was a bluff or semi-bluff raise was highly unlikely given his/her previous play hence I folded. We had contested only one other pot against each other where they had folded the river after I bet my TPTK the whole way. I had not folded to any raises on the same round at this table prior to this. My guess is they flopped trip 9's and waited to raise the turn.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:06 PM

I think this fold is OK given the read you have. The pot's not that big and it looks like a classic slow play of flopped trips. If the pot was a couple bets bigger I invest 2 more BB for sanity sake.