Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 12:02 AM

Default 2nd nut flush from BB - family pot

Do you get away from this? What if you had the "nut" flush? I was kinda shocked to lose it, guess it happens - or am I too easy on myself?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($50.85)
MP1 ($60.30)
MP2 ($19.25)
MP3 ($61.15)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($67.15)</font>
Button ($38.10)
SB ($17)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($39.15)</font>
UTG ($22.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls $1, SB calls $1.

Turn: ($5) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($5) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $65.65</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $27.65 (All-In).

Final Pot: $111.80
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $83.80, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by CO ($83.80).</font>
<font color="#009B00">Pot 2: $28, returned to CO.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kc 3c (flush, king high).
CO has 9s 9d (full house, nines full of jacks).
Outcome: CO wins $111.80. </font>
Old 01-21-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: 2nd nut flush from BB - family pot

I have not played at Poker Stars but I think in general you are giving up too much if you dont raise this river and given how slowly the CO played his set on such a dangerous board I wouldnt give him credit for the boat. If I had the nut flush given your relatively shallow stack I go broke here every time.

I do think the CO played the flop/turn terribly given the draw heavy board. I would have bet the turn to charge the draws and possibly raised the flop. If any club but the J or 7 fall he pays you off and if you hit a non club T on the river its at best a split for him.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:28 AM

No one re-raises on the river with a paired board with a hand that you beat. You actually lose to quads, tons of full houses, an A high flush, AND two straight flushes, by the way. The raise is debatable, but calling the re-raise is terrible.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:10 AM

this is a very tough hand. Ive lost hands like this as well.
the pot before the river was only 5 dollars. then your raise tripled the pot size. You gotta look at it in your opponents eyes though, he is beng raised twice the amount of the pot which is telling him you have a very strong hand.
If you were the opponent in this situation you would not try and bluff someone that has shown so much strength,, because your bet shows that you are commited to the hand. I would have personally put him on an ace high flush or better and folded. The board is paired making a boat possible and you only have the second highest flush. The villain set up a real nice trap though, he showed weakness the whole time waiting for you to pot commit yourself then pushing. Its a bad beat, it happens.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:37 AM

Next hand you post, replace the results with a read.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:33 AM

I had folded to a number of all-ins at this table, this looked like another attempt to steal the pot - it was a pot sized bet that I called, even though it looks like more. I thought there was a good chance he was slow playing the straight, it seeemed like a horrible way to play a set (wake up on the river when you fill your boat?!?), the only hand I feared when I called was the A-High flush.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:43 AM

How much sense does it make to try to steal a pot from a bettor and a raiser on the river by making an all-in which is not even more than a pot sized bet?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much sense does it make to try to steal a pot from a bettor and a raiser on the river by making an all-in which is not even more than a pot sized bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
how about a little more sense then slow playing a set to the river? The original bettor took a stab at the pot by under betting it, I showed strength granted, but he could have thought I was doing the same and he might have thought his AJ trips was good. There are a lot of hands you can put CO on I would think it is weak to lay this down and assume he has the boat, his play does not indicate that. Now if someone makes the argument that 2nd nut flush is not the nut flush and the play of the other two players indicates a draw, I would listen.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:24 PM

I agree 100% with TheWorstPlayer. The raise is kinda ok, the call is bad. You can beat lone trips and a lower flush, but who re-raises with that?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:47 PM

point taken, it had been about the 3rd or 4th all-in I had seen at this table in the last 5-10 minutes (not necessarily from this particular player) and I thought it was an abnormally high bluffing table and with my hand I thought it made sense to showdown, but by no means was I comfortable when I called it