Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 05:04 PM

Default NL fundamentals

Hello all, long time reader first time poster. In the past i've been strictly a limit player. Lately i've been studying different games ( O8, stud hl) and would like to learn more about NL with regards to fundamentals. I've already learned a great deal by just reading archives but so far have been unsuccessful in finding posts on suggestions of books that may be of help. Are there any principle books out there such as TOP and HEFAP aimed at NL? From what i've heard many books out there on NL are bogus, so I would like to avoid them. Thanks everyone in advance as I look forward to posting more and improving my game through this great site.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: NL fundamentals

"Super System" by Doyle Brunson and "Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker" by Bob Ciaffone and Stewart Reuben.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:16 PM

I don't like supersystems for somebody just beginning NL.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I think of myself as a pretty solid limit player, but when trying to play NL my game definitely breaks down. Hopefully these books will set me straight.
Regards
Old 01-20-2005, 06:18 PM

First read Theory of Poker. 2nd SSHE (it actually helped my small buyin NL play alot because there is great discussion about the starting hands and how each play). Then PL&NL by Reuben&Ciaffone. Super System is a great book to get some idea about the proper aggression etc.
In NL game you have to understand the importance of starters,position,aggression and players against you. And that's just the square 1 to start playing NL but read as much as possible and get some experience about the game.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:56 PM

SSH could be disasterous for a beginning nl player, but TOP is crucial.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:06 PM

yes but just like reading TOP you have to think how to adjust the advice in book to NL play
Old 01-21-2005, 12:01 AM

i'm not about to go thumb through them, but i think that every concept in ssh that's applicable to nlhe has been touched on either in books about nl (reuben and caffione's, s/s, harrington's) or in top. and misapplying the wrong concepts from ssh could be disasterous. relative hand valuations in nl and limit are completely different.