Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 10:06 PM

Default A confusing KK hand

Playing pokerroom 3/6. Haven't been sitting there long, and haven't seen anything too unusual yet. Seems a little loose so far, but no signs of major table tilt.

UTG limps, MP limps, I raise with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Both blinds call, and both limpers call.

Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Blinds check to UTG, who bets, MP calls, I raise. SB 3-bets, 2 calls to me, and I call.

Turn is J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

SB bets, folds to me [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. I call.

River is 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets, I call.

Comments on flop, turn and river appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: A confusing KK hand

I would cap the flop and see if I got bet into on the turn. If so, I'd call down then.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:19 PM

I would cap the flop because of the two players that are stuck in between you and the SB, I think you have the best hand here the majority of the time and you need to get extra bets from them now while they're commented(3 bets each).If they had folded after the SB three bet the flop, leaving it heads up, I would just call the SB and wait till the turn to raise since you have position on him.

In either case I would raise the turn unless another Q came and only slow down if the SB three bets the turn.

-Pete
Old 01-20-2005, 10:20 PM

Well, I guess my question is what to make of a check/3-bet from an unknown. Its usually either a set or a monster draw. This board doesn't appear to have any monster draws. The pot is too large to even think about folding once it gets heads up. If its still multi-way and an ace or queen pops on the turn or river and its two bets to me is the only way I see myself laying this down. But my question is whether I should put another raise in somewhere. You say cap the flop. I'd like to hear what others have to say.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:14 PM

I like this all the way. Doesn't mean it's right, just that I'd play it the same.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:23 PM

I tend to agree with capping the flop. Even if SB caught a baby set, at some point he's going to start wondering if maybe you have QQ, so you slow him down regardless. And you get an extra few bets for the times you end up winning the hand.

If SB still leads into you on the turn, then yeah...it's calldown time. If he check/raises again on the turn, then I'm glad you're making that decision instead of me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree with capping the flop. Even if SB caught a baby set, at some point he's going to start wondering if maybe you have QQ, so you slow him down regardless. And you get an extra few bets for the times you end up winning the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like NL/PL thinking. I don't really see the point in slowing him down if the other players come along for a ride, and I may still have the best hand. IMO I've already given weak queens enough reason to fold, so I can't really protect my hand any more.

Either:

A--He's got a monster.
B--He's trying to make a move (bluff/semibluff).
C--He is overvaluing his hand.

So I have to balance the possibilities, and:
a--fold
b--keep jamming
c--show down my hand as cheaply as possible.

I already ruled out a. So my choices are between b and c.
Once its heads-up, a turn raise isn't a good play IMO, unless he's going to cap the turn/cap the river with a worse hand.

So my question is an EV one against an unknown. Since he is an unknown, perhaps the corrent answer is 'I don't know.'
Old 01-20-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once its heads-up, a turn raise isn't a good play IMO, unless he's going to cap the turn/cap the river with a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clear this up, I wasn't advocating a turn raise. Just a flop cap, and a turn call if he still leads into you. I think this accomplishes a perfect blend of B & C for you, because the other two are more likely to call a cap after putting money in on the flop, and you stand a chance of knocking SB into check/call mode with a better (but non-nuts) hand. Worst case, you lose one more SB because of the flop cap.

EDIT: Well, worst case you check/raised on the turn or river.