Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Hand 1 - Axs from BB. A on flop. - Also an intro (long)

Ok... here's the deal. I started playing 5/10 6-max's on Dec 13th. After playing about 2k hands, I started sharing hands with another 2+2 poster (from the Hand Sharing threads). After the many reviews of many hands (about 1k total hands over 3 weeks), I started to feel confident in my game. So confident, that I proceeded to lose 225BB (Please, hold the applause). I feel that the advice he gave me was great, so by no means am I pointing any fingers... Just giving evidence that I was working on my game.

Sunday, Jan 16th was the end of my losing streak. I went back to 3/6 for a short while to relax some. I felt I was tilting a little too much. I have had about 3 100+BB downswings before, so the first 150BB or so wasn't bad. After 225BB, I started to second guess myself real bad.

For the next week or so, I will post some hands on situations that I've come across that I felt I played not so well. I need to find my leaks. (btw... I did read almost all the posts in this forum from late November on through this last weekend.)

In saying that, this could be just a cold-run (about 6k hands in downswing starting Jan 3rd). Before this bad run, I was up about 85BB.
Chart

The chart doesn't include about 1k hands I played on the road on my laptop... total downswing was about 225BB.

During this downswing, my premium hands have just stunk (AA <30% winrate, KK and QQ not too much better), so I'm leaning towards just a bad run, but with normal winrates so low, just one decent leak can turn a winning player into a loser.

I think one of my big issues is using the SH strategy from this forum on the super loose/semi--post-flop-aggressive tables. After talking over many of these hands with aflaba, I changed my strategy (pf) from my original design:

Original pf plan: Play like it was a full ring game with first 4 players folding, of course player dependent.

New pf plan: Player dependent, based on the pf chart and posts I read in the HUSH forum.

My potential problems:

1. Not adjusting properly for the tables I play on (table avg >50%VPIP/between 8-15% pfr).
2. Not playing enough hands pf.
3. Not raising enough hands pf.
4. Overplaying TP.
5. Giving opponents too much credit.
6. Giving opponents not enough credit.
7. Not bluffing enough.
8. Not knowing how to play poker well enough to understand why I suck so much. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Anyway... I have a bunch of questions and a few hands to review, so let's get started.

<font color="purple">Question of the day:
When you sit on a table that is really loose (avg &gt;40% VPIP or avg &gt;50% VPIP), how do you adjust from this?
With an average of 4-5 to a flop, what changes, if anything?
</font>

First hand:

SB - 32/15/1.7
UTG - 43/21/1.6 (included just for info)
MP - 56/10/1.2
CO - 35/5/9.4
Button - 49/12/2.1

(all over 100 hands)

$5/$10 Hold'em - 6 max PP

PreflopHero is in the BB w/ A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 players)(5SB)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)(3.5 BB)
<font color="red">Hero bets, CO raises, </font>Hero calls

River 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)(6.5 BB)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets</font>, Hero calls
Old 01-20-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Hand 1 - Axs from BB. A on flop. - Also an intro (long)

easypete,

A 225BB downswing and you're posting this hand? You played it fine.

___1___
Old 01-20-2005, 06:03 PM

i have a question about the question of the day:

when we talk about loose tables pf, are we talking high vpip with 1) higher than normal pfr 2) avg pfr % or 3) lower than normal pfr%?

if we are talking about number 3, then i am limping a few more hands up front that i wouldnt want to call a raise with at more aggro tables. i would limp Axs UTG for example or little pps. i may even limp some Kxs in mp. i would probably limp some suited conectors more freely.

I would still play tough with my big broadways/ big pairs, but on the other hand I may chill on things like my ATo. I don't think this is as good a pf raise if its garanteed multiway.

i would think when there are tons of people seeing the flop, pocket pairs are like gold... any of them. i may start playing the 22 and 33 and 44 UTG at these tables. even the high pfr tables if 5 are seeing the flop anyway. however if the pf action features a lot of 3betting or capping, then I am probably not goint to be playing the small pockets up front like that.

that is at least a few examples.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
easypete,

A 225BB downswing and you're posting this hand? You played it fine.

___1___

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to post a few hands... I'm just not going to litter the forum with 10 hands right away... figured one a day or so would be enough... I'm content to stay at 3/6 for a week or so, so I'm not in a big hurry... I want to get it right.

As for this hand, I don't know if I played it right.... after the turn raise, am I to call this down? I fear my kicker and the board pairing 5's.

I believe this hand characterizes a few of my concerns.

TPWK vs a turn raise when 4 opponents saw the flop. If it was heads up before the flop, then I have no problems with this hand.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a question about the question of the day:

when we talk about loose tables pf, are we talking high vpip with 1) higher than normal pfr 2) avg pfr % or 3) lower than normal pfr%?

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, my tables have a pfr of around 10% (average). For the most part, I find myself on tables with average VPIP of &gt;50%. I started to mine 5/10 6-max starting in mid October to prepair for my move there, so I have some extensive note outputs. I general spend about 10 minutes finding a table like this, but it stays that way for a while (over an hour).

I only ask this, because I often find myself dropping 20BB on these tables in a matter of a 15-30 minutes, then spend about 2 hours getting those 20BB back (if I can before the table tightens up). I generally leave the table when the VPIP drops below 30-35% (depending on pfr).

[ QUOTE ]
if we are talking about number 3, then i am limping a few more hands up front that i wouldnt want to call a raise with at more aggro tables. i would limp Axs UTG for example or little pps. i may even limp some Kxs in mp. i would probably limp some suited conectors more freely.

I would still play tough with my big broadways/ big pairs, but on the other hand I may chill on things like my ATo. I don't think this is as good a pf raise if its garanteed multiway.

i would think when there are tons of people seeing the flop, pocket pairs are like gold... any of them. i may start playing the 22 and 33 and 44 UTG at these tables. even the high pfr tables if 5 are seeing the flop anyway. however if the pf action features a lot of 3betting or capping, then I am probably not goint to be playing the small pockets up front like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. But if this is the case, wouldn't my first idea work for these tables? Act like full ring game w/ 1st 4 players folding? This would allow me to do what you state. I only have an issue with the cost of the blinds. I don't feel I would be playing enough hands to make up for that difference.

Thanks,

EP
Old 01-20-2005, 06:50 PM

If he's loose passive (kind of guy that would call with 5's on AJ5 flop). I'd give him credit for the 5 and fold. If he's even somewhat tricky I'd have to call him down because this is still a good spot for someone to raise the turn and take a free showdown, although he didn't do that. OK I just noticed your stats up there. Is that 9.4 an aggression rating for CO? If that is over 100 hands like you say, then there is of course no decision you have to call. That's a rediculous figure if it's not a typo. Hell, he might cap w/out an ace!
Old 01-20-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that 9.4 an aggression rating for CO? If that is over 100 hands like you say, then there is of course no decision you have to call. That's a rediculous figure if it's not a typo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... had to look twice at that... 9.4 AF
Old 01-20-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is that 9.4 an aggression rating for CO? If that is over 100 hands like you say, then there is of course no decision you have to call. That's a rediculous figure if it's not a typo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... had to look twice at that... 9.4 AF

[/ QUOTE ]

Over 100 hands? It's an easy easy easy calldown.

Rob