Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: How many more year will u Full time in poker? And your furture\'s p

[ QUOTE ]
Cowboyz Fan, you make a few good points in your most recent post. Yes, Brits who take their holidays (vacations) in Spain and France are not as well travelled as an American who has seen a lot of America without leaving the US. This I give you. However, your below post is way off the mark. Jealousy doesn't come into it. Also, I very much doubt the views of Pokerstud AA, Greg nice, Microbob and bisonbison have anything to do with the fact that you currently have an ignoramus of epic proportions governing your country.

Well keep thinking the Beeb, Guardian, and Mirror are giving you unbiased news.

[ QUOTE ]
It is sad that so many Americans, because they think they don't have political power anymore, have decided that bashing their country is an ok thing to do. Yet if their party was in power, they would be singing a different tune.

Most of these nouveau internationalists have not travelled much at all. If they had, they would realize that Anti-Americanism has been around a long time. It is not about America, it is about power. Since we have the power, many people are jealous. That is just the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I stand by my statement. It is not really something a non American can understand anyway. I am talking about people that all of a sudden care what countries like France think only because they oppose the present administration. These are people that even a year ago wouldn't have known the Left Bank from left field.

In fact Microbob hit the nail on the head with this post.....

[ QUOTE ]
Many Americans are intolerant of foreigners and/or those who don't speak english as their first language.

The percentage of Brits or anyone else in the world of a similar vain is significantly smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just false. I HAVE spent a lot of time in the UK. I have seen racism and intolerance with my own eyes. Am I wrong that London Bobbies are MUCH more likely to question a random black than a white? Am I wrong that Indians and Pakistanis are often subject to racial attacks? So, maybe I have met a few more Brits than some of those you quoted. It's no big deal, it's just reality.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a country you are conditioned to work long hours with (correct me if I'm wrong) only 3 weeks holiday per year for a standard job. In the UK, 3 weeks holiday per year would be seen as slavery.

Furthermore, in the UK, upon finishing university / college, there simply aren't enough quality jobs to go round. The government here want to put as many people as possible through higher education, which leads to hundreds of qualified people applying for a handful of jobs, hence why a relatively high proportion of Brits go travelling when in their 20's, as the alternative of doing a low-paid, fairly unskilled job after studying for years is not exactly enticing.

The above two paragraphs, in my opinion, are indicative of why American's are more intolerant of foreigners than other nations are. And this intolerance is perfectly natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect your opinion, but i do not agree with it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Re: How many more year will u Full time in poker? And your furture\'s plan?

Hey there Kim,

This is a good post and one I have been thinking about for quite some time. If you read journals (link is in my profile), you'll notice my very first journal entry has some remarks to the state of the poker gaming industry and how long this digital goldmine will last.

If online poker is projected to be where it stands and I have a conservative estimate on my win rate and overall winnings for the year then I would have to say that I would be on pace for saving enough for Medical School without having to worry about pursuing a part time job alongside.

I'm 28 now, so I guess that would be a good plan to lay ahead for me. And poker is definitely a good way to save up for it now.

Lawrence
Old 01-19-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Americans are ignorant for the most part.

I am American.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are ignorant for the most part.

I am a person.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I don't agree. I have travelled a hell of a lot more than the average person. And ignorance is everywhere. It is no more an "American" trait than is whoring.

It is sad that so many Americans, because they think they don't have political power anymore, have decided that bashing their country is an ok thing to do. Yet if their party was in power, they would be singing a different tune.

Most of these nouveau internationalists have not travelled much at all. If they had, they would realize that Anti-Americanism has been around a long time. It is not about America, it is about power. Since we have the power, many people are jealous. That is just the way it is.

I defy anyone who thinks that the UK or any other country is more welcoming to foreigners than America. Americans are the the most giving people on earth and America is the greatest force of good on earth.

But as they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with some of this. Anyone pay attention to the treatment of black players during the Spain-England soccer match a month or so ago? The Spanish fans were making monkey noises and singing racist songs at the black players from England. Things like this happen in "enlightened Europe" all the time. Humans are stupid all over the world.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: How many more year will u Full time in poker? And your furture\'s plan?

Definately, the last business project I worked on I was putting in 15-20 hour days btwn that and my normal job and it was very grueling at times. I guess I should have been more specific, but yes you are totally right, when the new business gets off the ground that will be my first priority. I hope to continue being able to play poker while I am working on the business but it will take a backseat if necessary.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:19 PM

What can you do with $100k ? How can you ease up then ?

B
Old 01-20-2005, 07:12 PM

Pretty sad how there are so many morons who want to post their O/T crap.

I dont know which is stupider, Non Americans trying to convince Americans that they suck or Americans trying to convince Non Americans that they dont suck.

My goals are to make enough money so I dont need to work.

Poker --> stockmarket --> low risk investments

If I have a place to live and can make $50k a year from investments and make a bit on the side playing poker I will be very happy.

No one needs $100k a year.

Starting your own company is bad news unless you like working 80 hours a week with high risk.

You think you can quit poker and start making 1mil a year running your own business and have heaps of spare time?

Wake up and quit watching crap on tv.