Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Pairs below TT confuse me....

Ok....mt PT stats say I don't raise enough PF (~7.7% at 2/4) so I'm trying to find spots where I can be more aggressive. I think small and medium pocket pairs are a leak for me.

I play too many small pairs against a raise i think (which may attribute to my somewhat high VPIP of around 19.5%). Whats the general view on this? Is this read specific? I dont think you can play a hand like 33 from MP with an EP raiser and no callers. But what about from the button with an EP raiser and 1 or 2 cold callers? What about 55 or 66 in these scenarios?

Also, is there any validity in the idea of raising for value with a pair with a bunch of limpers? On the button with 77, 88, etc. and 5 limpers to you. What about smaller pairs? I usually try to get in cheap with anything below 10s. Is this wrong?

And then stealing. Should I be trying to steal with smallish pairs when folded to me in LP? And if I get called in 1 or 2 spots and don't flop a set, and one or two overs hit, assuming a rainbow and no straight draws, do I call or raise a bet or just cut my losses?

I know alot of these questions are ridiculously general and I should post specific hands, but I'm just trying to think about how to generally approach some situations.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Pairs below TT confuse me....

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think you can play a hand like 33 from MP with an EP raiser and no callers. But what about from the button with an EP raiser and 1 or 2 cold callers? What about 55 or 66 in these scenarios?

[/ QUOTE ]
To play 66-22 behind an EP raiser, I like having at least 3 cold-callers in front of me. Sometimes 2 if the blinds are really loose.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, is there any validity in the idea of raising for value with a pair with a bunch of limpers? On the button with 77, 88, etc. and 5 limpers to you. What about smaller pairs? I usually try to get in cheap with anything below 10s. Is this wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
I raise 99 from anywhere, 88-77 I open-raise from MP and later, 66-55 I open-raise from LP. I raise most PP's on the button with a bunch of limpers (5 or so) not only for value, but because you may also get to see a free turn card if you don't like the flop and they check to you.