Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: AKs. I Think I Found A Leak.

JrZ - I agree with your comments, except on the river. Why not check/call with the pot as big as it is. When the guy raised on the river when the 2nd heart hit, I had him on a possible flush draw. When the 3rd heart hit on the river, why not check/call b/c the pot is so big. If there's a raise on the river by the third bettor (assuming a bet by the second), then fold.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JrZ - I agree with your comments, except on the river. Why not check/call with the pot as big as it is. When the guy raised on the river when the 2nd heart hit, I had him on a possible flush draw. When the 3rd heart hit on the river, why not check/call b/c the pot is so big. If there's a raise on the river by the third bettor (assuming a bet by the second), then fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/calling here would still be very very bad.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:45 PM

Davelin - sorry to sound dense but I don't understand why a check/fold is in order here. Granted, you are most likely beat, but the pot is very big and if it costs you 1BB and there is at least a 10% chance that you have the best hand, why not call him down?

I agree that if the pot was smaller or you knew that this was a rock, then it's an easy check/fold.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Davelin - sorry to sound dense but I don't understand why a check/fold is in order here. Granted, you are most likely beat, but the pot is very big and if it costs you 1BB and there is at least a 10% chance that you have the best hand, why not call him down?

I agree that if the pot was smaller or you knew that this was a rock, then it's an easy check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

With an overcall I don't think you're good 1 in 10 here. What do you think both opponents have that doesn't beat A-high? I don't even think you're good 1 in 20 times.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm asking b/c this is a leak in my own game. If I think I'm beat on the turn and the pot is big, I'll usually call down to the river for 1BB heads-up. In this case, even though the raiser is to my left, with 2 callers and only A high, I see your point. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Awesome!

Hey Tom,

All this aggression coming from a guy who had this view of playing AK just about a month ago! Seeing progress (and since it's hard for many to be aggressive at first, I feel that the move to overaggressive from passive IS progress...) like this just reminds me how awesome this forum is.

As for this hand, though, I like it up till the river. The merits of the turn call can be debated. Getting 9.5:1, I think it's close. And the fact that you're playing 4 handed makes me think it's a okay call.

However, the river bet is definitely chip spewing territory. You're not getting two opponents to fold -- in fact you probably wouldn't get just UTG to fold, even if it was HU.

All in all, though, compared to a month ago, nice hand.

Regards,
-Brian
Old 01-20-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Awesome!

Hi Knoler,

I was wondering if anyone would remember my thoughts on AK from that thread. LoL. That represented my Lee Jones WLLH training, all two months of it; and this thread is based on my SSH training, all 4 weeks of it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have tried to be more aggressive as you can see. I have felt like I must be overdoing it sometime though. It just felt bad. I think it's natural to feel a little nervousness when first getting used to being more aggressive with the betting, but in the wrong spots it starts to feel uh, really wrong.

As I said above, this hand was from two weeks ago and even in that time I realized before I posted this those river bets were the stuff of crazyness; but it is probably a reflection of how confused I was trying to find the right balance of aggression at the time. I'm still trying, but I'm not making as big of mistakes as that anymore. I was not sure with this hand if I played it right up to the turn.

Your point about trying to get two opponents to fold being much less likely than one is well taken also.

Cheers,

TomBk
Old 01-20-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like the first thing you should do is to change table. A lot of the money comming from suited hands (especially with an ace in them) is, as your surely already know, made from pumping flopped four-flushes and then spike your flush on the turn or river. With only 3 people, at the absolute best, to call the chances to succeed with pumping a nice pot on the flop decreases. It's much nicer to have 5-6 players calling your bets and raises when you flop your big draw [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2005, 07:04 PM

Much of the advice here is correct however variance is a bitch and you can only rely on statistics to get you so far. I have played 14k hands at 1/2 and am in the red with AKs, AKo & TT but that could all change with a couple of good connections with the flop.

Anyway check/fold the turn and GL