Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 03:30 AM

Default This ever happen to anyone...?

Tonight was probably one of my worst sessions to date. 600 hands, -100+ BB. Strangely enough, it dawned on me after my 3rd 2nd nut flush wasn't good enough and AA can't beat K5 heads up, that it was so ridiculous is was hilarious. I knew there wasn't [censored] I could do about the bad beats, so I just started laughing at all the runner runners and miracle river cards. Have I suffered a severe trauma that has stopped me from rational thinking or, after so long playing low limt, are bad beats funnier than they are horrible?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:07 AM

Default Re: This ever happen to anyone...?

C'mon, hoss, so they licked the red off your candy...

Its bad, sometimes real bad, but of course it happens. The cherry on top of my worst one was losing to quads with top FH twice in one session, among other calumnies. One of these was a good player who turned it and mashed me (nice hand), the other a clown who had to hit his pair runner-runner. Sessions where LP's are drawing like Rembrandt and dealing out bad beats are what keep them reloading when they go bust.

You gotta cowboy up, rub some dirt on it and go get 'em. Look for leaks and holes, of course, but it sometimes is just the terrain you pass through.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and AA can't beat K5 heads up, that it was so ridiculous is was hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say it isn't so! I'm sure we all feel your pain but at least your laughing about it. Theres really only two things you can do to cope in these situations, get mad or laugh. Keep on laughing cause you'll get 'em all back real soon.

Tell them that they played K5 beautifully. Hopefully with such compliments they'll keep playing those cards.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:18 AM

I'm a slump like that at the moment, feels like I've gotten seriously cold-decked every night this week.

Eh, it'll pass. I'm just getting all the nonsense out of the way in one big *poof*. I expect to go on a mad rush, starting tomorrow.

I've been lucky enough to get at some tables with some real experts. So luckily I get to learn while I watch them suck out on me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2005, 10:46 AM

What? Experts suck out? I'm not sure I want to learn those lessons...

If the OP thinks this is laughable, he should play Omaha/8, where he can REALLY get some laugh practice in. After O/8, Texas Holdem feels like a post-graduate logic class. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2005, 10:54 AM

Glad to hear that you're taking this well. It seems the bad beats are coming down hard recently (personally in the middle of -200BB run).

However, I suggest reviewing hands to make sure you're not adding to your misery. Also, don't let yourself get caught up in the "implied odds" mirage. (I've got a gut-shot, if I ignore the 3 flush on the board and the fact that I was check raised on the turn, I've got the odds to hit the straight on the river. Then I'll be even!)

Sometimes, the bad beats just hide the fact that you've played some other hands badly. Unfortunately, I'm figuring this out the hard way.....
Old 01-20-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What? Experts suck out? I'm not sure I want to learn those lessons...

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yah! I had one guy at my table talking about how he defends every blind, "It doesn't matter if you lose 100 times in a row, at least people know not to mess with your blinds.."

Uh, ok.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:09 PM

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!

Nice to know I'm not alone right now. Although I will admit, you have more inner-strength than than I do, mtdoak!!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tonight was probably one of my worst sessions to date. 600 hands, -100+ BB. Strangely enough, it dawned on me after my 3rd 2nd nut flush wasn't good enough and AA can't beat K5 heads up, that it was so ridiculous is was hilarious. I knew there wasn't [censored] I could do about the bad beats, so I just started laughing at all the runner runners and miracle river cards. Have I suffered a severe trauma that has stopped me from rational thinking or, after so long playing low limt, are bad beats funnier than they are horrible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is what your talking about, but Mike Caro has written about "crossing the threshold of pain". What MC is talking about is a severe form of tilt where escalating losses don't mean any additional discomfort, but getting your money back can be quite soothing. That is say your threshold is $1000, once you've lost that amount, you might as well lose $10,000 more trying to get even because emotionally it is all upside from this point.

Of course this is a very dangerous situation to be in so it is important for players to know their own thresholds.

Paul
Old 01-20-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The cherry on top of my worst one was losing to quads with top FH twice in one session, among other calumnies

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell is a calumnie?

Try calamity