Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 PM

Default top pair/nut flush draw on flop

around the 3rd orbit. Stars NL $1/$2. I get dealt A7s in SB (~$215).

UTG ($100) raises to 4, LP calls ($240), I call, BB calls ($90). 4 to the flop.

*** FLOP *** [Tc 4c As]

I got TP w/ nut flush draw.

I lead out for $5 into a ~$17 pot. BB and UTG both call. LP raises to $30. I re-raise to $55. Rest fold to LP who calls.

Turn is 5d. Check, check.

River is Ks.

I check, LP pushes for ~$180.

I....................?

all comments welcome
Old 01-19-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: top pair/nut flush draw on flop

I REALLY don't like how you played this, honestly. I think there is only one reason to bet out on the flop with a draw and that is to hide the fact that you have a draw. You want to make it look like you have a hand, and that will put the PFR to the test. A $5 bet will not do it. If you are going to lead into a PFR, bet the pot or close to it. This weak lead screams draw. And your draw is not that good. You are most likely against a set here. You don't have that much equity against a set, so I don't like re-raising. You know he is not folding so there is no fold equity. And if you thought you might have some fold equity, that would be to a much larger raise, not to a weak min-re-raise. So, I would check/call the flop. The idea is that the most likely thing to happen is for the PFR to bet the flop and then to see one or two calls, which is good for your draw since it keeps people in to improve the implied odds if you hit. All you did was drive people out and cost yourself money to draw.

On the river, that is an easy fold. You have no hand.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:58 PM

Check / call the flop, maybe lead the turn and fold to a raise if it is big enough. But like the above comment, you need to keep other people in the hand in order to improve your equity against the preflop raiser.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:06 AM

Your pair is basically worthless once anyone shows any interest at all in the pot (other than the fact that you can possibly win by making two pair).

Even though it was only a min-raise, I think calling preflop is marginal at best... you're going to flop a draw much more often than you'll flop two pair or trip sevens and you are out of position.