Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: How many more year will u Full time in poker? And your furture\'s p

I've been doing this for a year now (playing professionally that is) and rather enjoy it, but it can be difficult at times. In the end, I think I like working for myself in general more than I enjoy playing poker specifically. I'll probably be looking into other ways to support myself more seriously over the coming year, but poker will always play a part in my income.

J
Old 01-19-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most of us can agree that we were lucky not be born in Bangledesh or Somalia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoo boy, just wait until the Bangledeshian and Somalian 2+2ers get to this thread. You'll be (e-verbally) skinned alive.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I only play a small number of hands a month, would like to get more income from Poker and eventually get a job in a Vegas hotel. Service managment or something to that effect and play live in my free time.

On the other subject. Michael Irving gave a great interview on The Jim Rome Show today. He was one of 17 kids in Fort Lauderdales ghetto, he was super ignorant because he just assumed the whole of the US was a ghetto because that is all he ever saw. Now that he is retired from football he flies kids around so that they can try to see that there is more to life than growing up and dying in a ghetto. He tries to inspire them to get up and out of there. I thought it was really interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i am a big proponent of travel and broadening your horizons. Life is about options, the more you have the better. But the thing is, there are people who have traveled tens of thousands of miles in America that some people in the UK, for example, would criticize for not having a passport.

Yet, if you live in London, you can take the Eurostar (train)to Paris in three hours for shopping. Or you could spend the weekend on the Costa Del Sol in Spain for a plane ticket of about $50 round trip.

Which of the two people is more travelled? Who has experienced more cultures? The Costa is pretty much British anyway. So, there is a lot of misunderstanding on both sides. The more we ALL travel, the more we get outside our norms, the better off we will be.

There is a lot to criticize about some Americans lack of interest in travel abroad. Or more significantly, what goes on abroad. Bison gave some examples of why that is the case.

But many in Europe have really no clue about America either. Even when they think that they do. For example, the average Briton who has vacationed in America goes to Las Vegas or Disney World (Orlando). How is that for a realistic impression of America?

They polled Europeans that have lived in America for an extended period or have travelled extensively here. Almost to a man, they said what suprised them the most was how vast the US is and how different its cultures are. Many abroad don't get that. So a person from say, Lichtenstein, calling an American "insular", is not really an apples to apples comparison.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't begin to count the number of times I've heard Americans express a sentiment along the lines of "f--king foreigners. Why don't they all just go back where they came from?"

When I was a BJ dealer in Uunica, MS I heard this sentiment a lot from various players.
Usually when I was running relief for a female chinese dealer (who happens to be the nicest person in the world) or an African with unusual soudning name.
Or maybe when an Asian player had just left that particular table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sample size is too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Genius response.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: How many more year will u Full time in poker? And your furture\'s plan?

Kim, I was out of line before. I apologize.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:57 AM

Poker is always going to be just "something extra" for me. I'm already doing what I love (working as a caseworker in my counties Dept. of Human Services child protection agency). As I move up in limits my financial "options" have expanded but unlike many people who post on the forums, there is no master plan for me to finally earn enough to quit the EVIL JOB. For me, poker will always be my money-making hobby.

Pep.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: How many more year will u Full time in poker? And your furture\'s plan?

Ianco15: no problem I don't mind [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2005, 06:21 AM

Cowboyz Fan, you make a few good points in your most recent post. Yes, Brits who take their holidays (vacations) in Spain and France are not as well travelled as an American who has seen a lot of America without leaving the US. This I give you. However, your below post is way off the mark. Jealousy doesn't come into it. Also, I very much doubt the views of Pokerstud AA, Greg nice, Microbob and bisonbison have anything to do with the fact that you currently have an ignoramus of epic proportions governing your country.

[ QUOTE ]
It is sad that so many Americans, because they think they don't have political power anymore, have decided that bashing their country is an ok thing to do. Yet if their party was in power, they would be singing a different tune.

Most of these nouveau internationalists have not travelled much at all. If they had, they would realize that Anti-Americanism has been around a long time. It is not about America, it is about power. Since we have the power, many people are jealous. That is just the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact Microbob hit the nail on the head with this post.....

[ QUOTE ]
Many Americans are intolerant of foreigners and/or those who don't speak english as their first language.

The percentage of Brits or anyone else in the world of a similar vain is significantly smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are as well-travelled as you claim Cowboyz Fan, then congratulations. But you must realise that you are in the minority as far as Americans go. As a country you are conditioned to work long hours with (correct me if I'm wrong) only 3 weeks holiday per year for a standard job. In the UK, 3 weeks holiday per year would be seen as slavery.

Furthermore, in the UK, upon finishing university / college, there simply aren't enough quality jobs to go round. The government here want to put as many people as possible through higher education, which leads to hundreds of qualified people applying for a handful of jobs, hence why a relatively high proportion of Brits go travelling when in their 20's, as the alternative of doing a low-paid, fairly unskilled job after studying for years is not exactly enticing.

The above two paragraphs, in my opinion, are indicative of why American's are more intolerant of foreigners than other nations are. And this intolerance is perfectly natural.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a country you are conditioned to work long hours with (correct me if I'm wrong) only 3 weeks holiday per year for a standard job. In the UK, 3 weeks holiday per year would be seen as slavery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, anything under 5 weeks is a crime againts humanity.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:10 AM

A word of caution:
You said you will play part time when your company is still fresh.
Son't underestimate the amount of work starting your own company will take. When your company is still fresh, you probably won't find any time to get a proper sleep, let alone play poker part time.
I hope you can find a worthwhile business idea and make it work. Good luck.