Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 02:37 AM

Default pocket tens UTG

Here's a hand from about a week ago. 4-8 table at the Monte Carlo. We were five handed, and it was around 6 AM, if that gives you any insight into our general state of mind. I didn't have much of a read on these guys, other than the fact that they seemed remarkably lucid for the situation.

Hero is UTG with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero raises,folded to button who calls, SB folds, BB reraises, Hero and Button call. (9small bets)

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets, hero raises, Button calls, BB reraises, Hero Folds, Button calls (18 small bets)

Turn: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets, Button Raises, BB calls (13 Big Bets)

River: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero controls breathing while eyeing high hand bonus for quad tens (around $700)
BB bets, Button raises, BB reraises, Button reraises, BB caps, Button calls
Final Pot 21 big bets between BB and Button

Thoughts? Specifically, do you like the fold, or do I pay the $4 and take a card off?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: pocket tens UTG

If you're going to raise the flop, you should be prepared to call a 3-bet. The pot is huge, and folding is a huge mistake. If you call, you hit your set, then you quad up on the river, like you were supposed to. I would fold or call the flop with raising being 3rd. The button is going nowhere, and you're not going to buy a free card or get position.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: pocket tens UTG

I think the flop raise may have been a mistake, as i didn't know enough about this player to have any idea if he'd fold KK-QQ to a raise and turn bet, and I knew I was probably behind and drawing to 2 outs + a backdoor. The reraise told me AA, which left me drawing nearly dead. Was I wrong to put him on AA? I would have called the reraise if I put him on AK. Obviously I would have liked to have called, but I felt it was -EV.
Also, do you feel there was any reason to try to isolate the BB?