Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 11:46 PM

Default HU QJs in the CO

No reads on villian... Is this completely retarted or ok?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...
Old 01-19-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: HU QJs in the CO

Good PFR. I also often try the raise on the flop when I totally miss. Whether or not you continue depends on what you think villain has. If he has a flush draw he will fold on the river if he misses, but if he has a ten he's not going anywhere. I'd probably go ahead and bet the river because you're not winning the pot without it.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:13 AM

If you don't have any reads on the villian, why not check down on the river? At least you would learn something. Seems like you will only bluff out worse hands on river. If the river was an Ace then betting might be good.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:40 AM

I think the play you made on the river is the only play you can make because if you check you lose... I however think his play at the end was to either hang you with a check raise or he at least respected you enough to have you on a bigger pair than he had..... I do however feel he is going to call you no matter what..... the only hand I see him laying down is KQ and his betting didn't seem to show that....
1 he called your preflop raise... noone else in the hand no pot odds for a drawing hand like 45 or 78 s
2 he bet into you after the flop
3 he called your reraise
4 he called your bet on the turn after he checked....
he isn't backing away from this hand and after you bet on the river it cost him 6 dollars to see your cards to get a read on you and a chance at 44 bucks....
I think you made the only play you could on the river....
I however would have let it go after he called my reraise on the flop after he bet into me... only cost you 12 there instead it cost you 24....
I think the way you bet the hand you play it that way on the river I just think he has me the whole way after the flop...
Like to see results...

Later,
wnewcomb .... AKA ... nukemextreme
Old 01-19-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have any reads on the villian, why not check down on the river? At least you would learn something. Seems like you will only bluff out worse hands on river. If the river was an Ace then betting might be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think there is any possibility of getting an ace or king high hand to fold? I'm not trying to defend this, but that was my thoughts when betting. If I held something like AJ I would've checked behind here.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:48 AM

Oh, I forgot to add. The reason I took this line was the bet seemed very odd to me. It screamed diamond draw or some kind of semibluff with overs (more likely a diamond draw). I think most players right or wrong tend to c/r you with a T in this spot and check-call down with smaller pairs, middle pair or bottom pair. Villians bet out seemed odd to me and thats why I played it this way. Again, I'm really not sure if thats right though, espicially w/ no read.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think there is any possibility of getting an ace or king high hand to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

King high maybe, Ace high less so. He's probably putting you on Ax, so he will probably call a lot of with a bare Ace. You probably need him to be on a flush draw to win so why not check and see what happens? If you had something absurd like 7-high then you need to bet, but you can win some showdowns here, I hate losing a lot of chips in small pots/ heads up, I want to save some chips for the big pots.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I took this line was the bet seemed very odd to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villian will bet a lot of flops he missed then betting hands he hits with is a good play here. Most players like to check/raise the flop instead of betting because they don't bet when they miss, very often. So opponent knowledge is key here.

A lot of good players will bet hands like Ax, Kx on the flop, figuring on going to showdown with these hands. So you don't want to bet the river against them.