Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Wireless internet

I am currently running a wireless router with the router upstairs on the second floor in my office. In the office I have one computer wired to the router with a second box downstairs connected by wireless.

I did have to pull my small computer desk on the mainfloor a little further out from the wall then I would have liked because I was losing my connection. Not sure if this was due to the proximity to the wall or the wiring from the outlet - likely the wiring.

2 pieces of advice...

1) AVOID NETGEAR - I purchased this one first on the cheap - could not maintain a connection for the life of me. AFTER the purchase [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I did a little research and discovered many of the same complaints. Running a US Robotics router now and it works like a gem.

2) If you have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone - keep it away from your computer. I read the warning in the manual about possible interference between the phone and the router... of course I didn't heed the advice. Every time my wife would pick up the phone to talk to her friggin' sister my connection would freeze. Solved this problem by moving the base of the phone out of the living room (where my computer is) and into the den at the back of the house... no more interference.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am currently running a wireless router with the router upstairs on the second floor in my office. In the office I have one computer wired to the router with a second box downstairs connected by wireless.

I did have to pull my small computer desk on the mainfloor a little further out from the wall then I would have liked because I was losing my connection. Not sure if this was due to the proximity to the wall or the wiring from the outlet - likely the wiring.

2 pieces of advice...

1) AVOID NETGEAR - I purchased this one first on the cheap - could not maintain a connection for the life of me. AFTER the purchase [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I did a little research and discovered many of the same complaints. Running a US Robotics router now and it works like a gem.

2) If you have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone - keep it away from your computer. I read the warning in the manual about possible interference between the phone and the router... of course I didn't heed the advice. Every time my wife would pick up the phone to talk to her friggin' sister my connection would freeze. Solved this problem by moving the base of the phone out of the living room (where my computer is) and into the den at the back of the house... no more interference.

Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with avoiding netgear. That's the one I have back home and it's a total piece of shite. The only reason I still use it is because i don't live there 90% of the year. For the record I've never had any problems with d-link, and that's the brand i've used for just about everything networking-wise.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every time my wife would pick up the phone to talk to her friggin' sister

[/ QUOTE ]

I sense some issues here... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 06:57 PM

What?!?

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="red"> LOVE </font> [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] my in-laws.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 07:11 PM

I used to have Linksys and it was a complete POS. I switched to Netgear and couldnt be happier, but I have also heard people say the same thing about Linksys, so who knows. Anyways, I get great range and never have any disconnect problems with mine. It did take a while to get all the kinks worked out when I first got it though. To each his own I guess.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:23 PM

Get some information here

This page will give you a very good overview of what you need.

JAque
Old 01-18-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get some information here

This page will give you a very good overview of what you need.

JAque

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:39 PM

Most of the major brands (Netgear, Linksys, etc) should be fine. I have a Netgear at home and it works great; ditto for friends using Linksys. Your mileage will vary as far as connections go depending on what your walls are made of -- drywall passes wireless signals great, concrete much less so.

Note that deals periodically pop up on wireless equipment; you'll see prices down to about $10-$20 after rebate for your AP and $10-15 for a PC card. I notice Amazon's got a combo going on right now for $47 after rebate.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:09 AM

I used to have a Linksys router, but switched to Netgear when I went wireless due to a great price on a package deal. I now have wireless Netgear hardware for my PCs, laptops, PS2, and even my two TiVos. Everything works great without exception, even with 128-bit WEP and MAC filtering turned on.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:23 AM

Sorry here is the link

click here

JAque