Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Are you f+cking with me or what?

bah! i'm not talking about what he's capable of, i'm talking about what's likely. i'm saying there is no way in hell he's on a stone bluff and folding the turn after he raises, but there is a small chance he's on a big draw or could somehow be driven to check/fold the river.

edit: if he desperation calls the river he certainly desperation calls the turn, so that argument is gone.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:47 AM

Well, villian shows QcKc, and MHIG.

Thoughts:

Not sure if I could get away from this hand - if villian has 44, then he has 44.

However, if he has worse than me, I don't want to chase him out (although I do want to charge him).

Looking back at his hand, I think he would have folded to a

1) larger flop bet (e.g. pot size)
2) larger turn bet (e.g. again pot size)
3) givem the above action, a turn re-raise all in

of course, nobody could put villian on this hand, and with a probably hand distribution, this would have to be the lowest.

my question is this:

There seems to still be a fair amount of fish at the $50 level who like to mess around - are the atypical ways of playing hands that will allow you to take advantage of their desire to use FPS?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:19 PM

Why are you trying to figure out ways to make him fold when you had him drawing dead?

Why are other people in this thread trying desperately to protect your hand against a draw when it's quite obvious that your opponent doesn't have a draw?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM

What does MHIG mean?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you trying to figure out ways to make him fold when you had him drawing dead?

Why are other people in this thread trying desperately to protect your hand against a draw when it's quite obvious that your opponent doesn't have a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my question. I figure, I'm either way ahead or way behind (although against 44 I still have 4 outs), but really, I just want to get the money in the middle. When he checks the turn, I sense something fishy and bet half the pot basically to encourage him to stay in. Not only did it work (the turn check-raise), he made a second best hand that he couldn't get away from on the river.

However, I'm not sure how much of this play is typical for villian, and how mow easier it is to say this in hindsight.

However, there are still a ton of fishy players at NL$50..
Old 01-18-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does MHIG mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

My hand is good.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:13 PM

I quess the question is on the flop what hands did you put him on? On the turn after he checked what hand did you put him on? The way you played the hand it sounds like you put him on a set. At these micro limits a draw, Ace or even straight he may call. A set he goes over the top all-in. Get the money in the middle on the turn. You increase your +EV especially if he's on a draw. As it turns out he should be added to your buddy list.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, villian shows QcKc, and MHIG.

Thoughts:

Not sure if I could get away from this hand - if villian has 44, then he has 44.

However, if he has worse than me, I don't want to chase him out (although I do want to charge him).

Looking back at his hand, I think he would have folded to a

1) larger flop bet (e.g. pot size)
2) larger turn bet (e.g. again pot size)
3) givem the above action, a turn re-raise all in

of course, nobody could put villian on this hand, and with a probably hand distribution, this would have to be the lowest.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he "would have done" with KQ is irrelevant.

by the way, 3) is probably wrong. he would call thinking at worst he can hit a king or a queen to win.

on the turn are you thinking "i hope he improves on the river so he'll bet or call my 1/6 of the pot allin" after he checkraises you twice? give me a break. this player obviously thought KQ was the nuts, it looks like you've spent the whole thread trying to justify calling because he ended up with KQ and hit a queen.

this player is obviously irrational, as we all could basically tell before we saw his cards, he might have had 2h3h and thought he had a straight or JhTh and thought it was a monster. making a bigger bet on the flop and coming over the top on the turn flat out make more sense than your line, regardless of what hand he actually held.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

way to show up after the results and come off like this (i'm cranky).

i dont think he's saying he wants him to fold KQ. i dont know what you're talking about.

it's not obvious that the opponent doesn't have a draw on the flop, his minraise may be his goofy way of trying to buy a cheap card. you still have to bet the turn, and when he raises it doesn't make any sense not to go allin.

this thread is annoying. guy plays hand against someone who doesnt know how to play, we try in vain to put him on a hand, guy trys to justify his line because he really likes how he played it all along. i should have just left it with my original post. with stacks these sizes, bigger flop bet, turn push over the raise, EASY.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
way to show up after the results and come off like this (i'm cranky).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm sorry I didn't stay up until 1 AM just so that I could catch this thread in the two hour window which was available prior to the results being posted.

But fish don't min-checkraise out of position with draws. You see it occasionally when they have position in order to take a free card but even that is rare in my experience. And even if the guy does have a draw... then great, he's charging himself more to draw and doing all of your work for you. I'd rather go with the assumption that I'm up against another made hand, and worry about what line I should take to win me the most if I'm ahead and lose the least if I'm behind.

That said though, I would have bet more on the flop and the rest of the hand presumably would have played out differently. If I had bet close to pot size and been raised and had then called on the flop, I would be very tempted to check behind on the turn, because the turn check means they either have you very badly beaten, or they have crap. And individual results aside, you're generally only getting called on the turn bet if you're way behind. I'd rather let the weak hands have a chance to bluff the river, and perhaps save a couple bucks if I'm up against a set.