Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 01:34 PM

Default QQ with 38 out of 2000 left: is losing all of my chips correct?

PartyPoker MTT, started with 2000, down to 38. Blinds are 1500/3000, I have about 38,000 chips (average is about 51,000) after posting the BB in seat 3. I've played 2 of the last 4 hands, having been dealt AQ suited each time, and took the blinds uncontested entering with raises of about 3xBB. The 10-handed table is all fairly tight. I find QQ in the BB, and seat 6 opens for 10,000. It's folded to me, and he has me outchipped by about 5,000. I debate calling, and then pushing on the flop if no A or K shows, or pushing all-in PF, thinking that the all-in may look like a weaker hand trying to steal, especially since I've just taken two of the last four hands uncontested, and decide to push. Seat 6 insta-calls with KK, flop comes three uncoordinated rags, turn and river are both A's, and I'm out. Was there a way I should have played this that didn't cost me all of my chips? Here's my choices, as I see them:

1. Push PF, in the attempt either to get his 10,000 plus the 1,500 SB or to induce action from a weaker hand making a stand against what might appear to be a steal attempt.
2. Re-raise PF. Pot is 14,500 after his raise, so once I call his 7,000 raise, pot is at 21,500, and I'm at 31,000. Say I raise 10,000 and he then re-raises all-in. The pot's then at 63,500, and it costs me my remaining 21,000 to call, so I'm getting about 3:1 with QQ, and it seems to me that a call is virtually mandated in that position. So a 10,000 chip raise pot commits me, and anything less than that into a pot of over 21,000 seems toothless to me. Or is a raise of of, say, 5,000 at all meaningful here?
3. Call the 7,000 PF, and throw in a probe bet of about 8,000 post-flop, once it comes uncoordinated rags. Again, though, if he comes over the top, with the pot odds I'm getting, I'm pretty sure I'm calling (although I'd have to think about whether he has AA, KK or has hit a set). So that leads to...
4. Push post-flop on the uncoordinated rags.

All 4 scenarios lead to me losing all my chips in this particular hand. With my chip position, would a fold ever be correct at some point in scenarios 2 or 3, given that I don't know he holds KK or AA or, in the case of #3, a set? I'm thinking #3 is the only one that might be a correct fold; it leaves me with a chip stack in the low 20's and, while that's crippled, I've got 7xBB and a full orbit before the blinds come back. Still, I like fighting with the QQ here better than playing with the short stack. Is that bad analysis?

I'm a 7-stud hi-lo player that's trying to learn how to play hold em, so all comments are appreciated.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: QQ with 38 out of 2000 left: is losing all of my chips correct?

the only way I could see you getting away from this with chips left.

1. you had him covered.

2. You smooth called and a K and A came on the flop. Giving you a chance to check fold.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:53 PM

easy push. bummer result.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
easy push. bummer result.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-18-2005, 03:02 PM

Not so sure you'd want to push here. What was the raiser's image? I'd flatcall here for $7000 and maybe take a stab on the flop, but read on ...

It also depends on what your goals are at this stage of the tourn, as far as getting into the big $$, winning the whole thing, etc.

In the old Texas Hold'em days QQ was considered a "little pair", so tossing it shouldn't be that outlandish.

I've seen people toss KK (and even AA in bubble situations).

I once tossed AA myself when I had a big stack in a satellite. I didn't need more chips but I could ill afford to lose a lot.

QQ could get you burned big time, especially if the other guy's got u covered. Something to consider.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:18 PM

It was well beyond the bubble at this point, as the payout started at the top 220; 38th cleared almost 6x the buy-in. My goal was to get to the final table and win the thing. I've made one other final table, finishing 3rd, and those final spots are where I want to be.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In the old Texas Hold'em days QQ was considered a "little pair", so tossing it shouldn't be that outlandish.

[/ QUOTE ]

and if you have 250 big blinds, it might still play that way. but when you have 13, QQ is a monster.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and if you have 250 big blinds, it might still play that way. but when you have 13, QQ is a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. you just have to push every time in this situation and hope that he calls with an underpair.