Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Resist the Crying Call?

I think I find myself making too many crying calls when faced with a raise on the river.

When in the hand, I figure, "Ok, its just one more bet to keep them honest." But then I guess in the long run those wasted big bets add up.

I guess, basically when all you've got is top pair and the board shows a possible flush or straight its an easy fold... same if there is no flush or straight then they've probably hit two-pair or slow-played a set.

At what point do you make the crying call? When the pot is huge, when you've got a set or a decent two-pair?

I guess for me its a leak psychologically not being able to surrender a pot or thinking you -might- have folded the best hand.

Just come down to discipline?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Resist the Crying Call?

One major factor to folding to raises on the river is player reads. If a player is loose passive and never bluffs and then raises you, you need a very strong hand to call. But against some players, almost never folding to a river raise would be correct. Reads are very important in this situation.

And when in doubt, usually call. When you make in incorrect call you lose one bet. But when you make an incorrect fold you lose a whole pot a la SSHE. Of course making the correct call or fold is even better.