Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Sanity check: Cap river?

"Villian" is a LA-A (67/19/4.6) who is sometimes quite tricky.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Villain calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, Villain calls.

River: (13.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls $0.98 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">Villain 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.24 BB

I felt like, in retrospect, I should have capped the river here, though Villain is acting like he has a set.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Sanity check: Cap river?

That is some weird stop and go action. I think this is close enough that you want to go with your read here. Not the LA-A read but a read on how he plays his hands, even from most maniacs this river play would make me pause and think before firing that cap. I understand he could probably play a very broad range of hands this way, but whats the worst or best hand you could put him on?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:49 AM

its is more of a judgement call you make yourself, anyone here will say it looks like he has a set.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:08 AM

Default My river strategy needs work.

He had been pounding me like a drum all evening--set over set, flopped straight vs. two pair, that sort of crap. But in watching him play his hands, both live and flipping through PT, he could really have anything. I mean, he played 2/3 of his hands, so one can get a lot of insight--which is basically that you can forget about reading this player.

[As a side note, I like that feature of PT more than anything--reviewing hands that the player in question has played before gives a lot more insight than simple stats. Though those are helpful, too.]

Anyway, against this sort of player, top-two with a straight on board is not quite enough to go to 4 bets. With a set, I may go as high as 6 bets (if permitted).

I think this may be a possible leak for me--excessive passivity on the river. I really don't know when to fold and when to raise, and I think this is the barrier I face between winning a little and winning a lot, and also moving up in limits for good.

I know some people laugh at these sorts of stats, but my aggression factor on the river is far too low--0.5. Whereas I manage 2.5 overall. So, it seems I know how to be properly aggressive everywhere but the river.

So the question is, really, did I do it right here? Because I'm trying to open up my game a bit more and take some chances while I'm splashing around in the micro limits.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:58 AM

rare is the maniac who will 3-bet the river with nothing.
(i'm not saying they're not out there..)
so, i like your river raise, and i think a cap is borderline/over-aggro, esp since BB is now all in. while you have top 2 pair, there is a 3 flush, a fillable straight, and possible set to consider. but i'd love to see A6, AT, or AK here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] then i'd get to type "poker is easy." in the chat and tilt him.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:03 PM

Result in white:

<font color="white">Villain had AT. BB had Q6. MHIG.</font>
Old 01-18-2005, 12:27 PM

Before reading the results, i'll say that i'd just call the river bet.

-d