Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Me smart, or me Stupid? (A SS player lost in the world of MTT)

Six from the bursting of the bubble. Top 20 spots play (289 players bought in.) I'm in twelvth place overall, 4th on my table. I've played about 1/2 the tourney with half this table, rock-tight for a long time, and then nearly blinded to death, and pretty loose the last few rotations.

I'm dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB. Folded to CO, (table leader, I doubled through him two rotations ago...he's playing the big stack very well).

Blinds are 1000/2000, I have ~T19,000.

He makes it T4,000. Button folds, SB folds.

Do I push? (He has ~T35,000, I would make a dent in him).
Do I call and push on no face card flop?
Call and lead out big?
Or Fold.
Please give me an explanation.

I can safely put him, with his style, on pretty much any two cards.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Me smart, or me Stupid? (A SS player lost in the world of MTT)

Push/ He did a 4times BB raise when everyone folded to him in the CO. From the sound of your post you walked into a bigger pair. Do that move everytime. Defend your blinds.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:37 AM

6 spots from the money, why risk it when at best you are probably a coin flip? I say let it go, you'll have many chances after you make the money.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 spots from the money, why risk it when at best you are probably a coin flip? I say let it go, you'll have many chances after you make the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the CO is getting 26:17 on his call, and that isn't great. He's going to fold a lot of hands, particularly since it sounds like the rest of the table is letting him get away with being an obnoxious big stack [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Calling all-in if the CO had pushed would be different. This push is fine.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong wrong wrong. You have 9 1/2 BB's 6 spots from the money. If what you care about is "making the money" then okay, keep folding and squeeze your way in. Meanwhile, when the bubble finally bursts, you'll have about
10,000 left with blinds at 2000-4000. Push the first ace or king you see, lose...and smile really big at the $4 you just added to your account for 3 hours of play.

Or you could push a quality hand that is NOT at best a coin flip - you might have him flat out dominated if he suddenly grows stupid, calls you and turns over 8-9 suited. At the very least, he folds and you've sent the message that even though you are a medium short-stack your blinds are not to be f-ed with.

If he wins, he wins but the worst thing you can do in an MTT is get scared of going broke on the bubble. I've went broke MANY times on the bubble and glad to do it because that same fearlessness on the bubble has gotten me to final tables I would have never made by just trying to limp across the finish line.

Pep.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong wrong wrong. You have 9 1/2 BB's 6 spots from the money. If what you care about is "making the money" then okay, keep folding and squeeze your way in. Meanwhile, when the bubble finally bursts, you'll have about
10,000 left with blinds at 2000-4000. Push the first ace or king you see, lose...and smile really big at the $4 you just added to your account for 3 hours of play.

Or you could push a quality hand that is NOT at best a coin flip - you might have him flat out dominated if he suddenly grows stupid, calls you and turns over 8-9 suited. At the very least, he folds and you've sent the message that even though you are a medium short-stack your blinds are not to be f-ed with.

If he wins, he wins but the worst thing you can do in an MTT is get scared of going broke on the bubble. I've went broke MANY times on the bubble and glad to do it because that same fearlessness on the bubble has gotten me to final tables I would have never made by just trying to limp across the finish line.

Pep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Play to win, unless it's a satellite or flat payout or something.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:26 AM

definitley push. if the big stack knows how to play then he will realize that he can push people around so close to the bubble. not only will your raise likely win the pot but it will also ensure that he looks for someone else to push around.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this post is the epitome of players that consider themselves "good" (they know the basic concept of playing quality starting hands) yet never make any kind of significant tournament profit.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:26 AM

stop and go
Old 01-18-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post

Rob