Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Beaten by runner-runner flush, but was I too aggressive here?

Table Table 14627 (6 max) (25 max NL hold em Party Poker)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 3: Seat 3 ( $27.05 )
Seat 5: Seat 5 ( $71.7 )
Seat 10: Our Hero ( $25.81 )
Seat 8: Dumbass ( $26.25 )
Dumbass posts small blind [$0.25].
Our Hero posts big blind [$0.5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Our Hero [ 7h Ah ]
Seat 3 calls [$0.5].
Seat 5 calls [$0.5].
Dumbass calls [$0.25].
Our Hero checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6d, Ad, Qc ]
Dumbass checks.
Our Hero bets [$2].
Seat 3 folds.
Seat 5 folds.
Dumbass raises [$4].
Our Hero is all-In [$23.31]
Dumbass calls [$21.31].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Kd ]
** Dealing River ** [ 9d ]
Dumbass shows [ Qd, 7c ] a flush, ace high.
Our Hero doesn't show [ 7h, Ah ] a pair of aces.
Dumbass wins $50.62 from the main pot with a flush, ace high.

Now to understand why I made the play I did, you must know that I had a good read on my opponent. First off, Dumbass bets very quickly, is a very, VERY aggressive player on the flop, and is extremely loose preflop. As such, it was very difficult to put him on a hand after the flop had been dealt. However, he had one play on the flop he used no less than five times since he sat down - in early position, he would check, wait for someone to bet the pot, and reraise to twice that amount.

Three times he took down the pot with no opposition. On the other two occasions, he was called and check-folded the turn. In this hand, I put in a pot sized raise after Dumbass checked to me, holding top pair. If I had received serious heat from anyone else, I would have had to get away from this hand with four limpers and a weak kicker. The other two players folded, to which Dumbass immediately put in a reraise to twice my bet.

Correctly, I guessed that he was attempting the same play he had attempted five times before, and I immediately moved all in. I think this might have been an overly aggressive mistake on my part. Even though I was sure I had the best hand, moving all in against a maniac with top pair and a weak kicker is probably a mistake. (Thoughts?)

So even though I had the bastard's tendency pegged, I got cleaned out with two diamonds on the turn and the river. You can see why I haven't been back to the NL cash game in a while...