Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 02:05 PM

Default How effective is collution?

My first post, so forgive style or protocol errors. Have been reading posts on mtt for couple weeks now.

What do you all think the effectiveness of collution by two or more players on a virtual table is? Imagine, for simplicity, two guys, who live close enough to call each other locally by phone or who have two or more IP addresses in the same room. Let's say they enter a ring game and share knowledge of their hole cards. Wouldn't they then be able to make better assesments of their outs and even use partners to raise pots without drawing attention to their own hand, etc?
Do the sites have ways of detecting this type of cheating? Are there ways other players can spot it? Cause if I were one of the Soprano's, I'd seriously be looking into working virtual games in this way, if it were possible or probable to improve my odds significantly.
And as a follow up, would it be slightly harder to effectively collude in a mtt, at least it seems so to me? Much more would depend on landing at the same table at some point in the tourny?

I regularly play virtual ring games for virtual cash but havent felt comfortable playing for hard-cold currency. I think tournies may be the way to go.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: How effective is collution?

Obviously if you play at the same table with someone a lot and have suspicious betting patterns you will easily get caught by the software. I would think sites also monitor MTT for people always entering the same tourments as well, but as you said you have to get at the same table to do any damage.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:16 PM

The only way collusion could be effective is chip dumping in tournies; just trying to push everyone closer to the money. However, since the fields are so large, you would need a group of players talented enough to survive late and dump chips where it would have the greatest affect on their chances of making some cash. So the chances that there are big collusion rings are smaller online where you can't meet in the bathroom and swap some tourny chips.

-'rilla
Old 01-18-2005, 01:38 AM

Definitely only profitable for people who spell it:

COLLU S ION
Old 01-18-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Much, much more effective when you spell it correctly. NP

x
Old 01-18-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Much, much more effective when you spell it correctly. NP

Does anyone know the approximate EV value of collusion in different types of games? Assuming they don't get caught.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:40 AM

you are a complete [censored] moron if you think you will get away with collusion online at a site more than two or three times.

you dont think that it is INSANELY easy to detect seeing as how the software has automated records of not only your hole cards for every hand you have ever played, but the tables you played at and people you played with?

also, if you have to ask how effective it could be, you absolutely ARENT A GOOD ENOUGH PLAYER TO IMPLEMENT IT BECAUSE YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THE GAME
Old 01-18-2005, 11:08 AM

thanks, tilt.

can't we go back to questions about folding AA?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: How effective is collusion?

Just to clarify my intentions for asking: I'm not interested in running a scam -- I enjoy the game a lot and am working to develop straight-up skills. I only ask about cheating simply to identify or avoid someone potentially pulling off a scam on me. sorry about the spelling error