Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 06:40 PM

Default 89s first in from cutoff. Fold or Raise?

Party poker 10 handed. My friend and I were arguing about this hand. Do you raise 89s from the cutoff as the first in. Assume it's a party 15-30. What about in a party 3-6?
Old 01-15-2005, 06:51 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: 89s first in from cutoff. Fold or Raise?

i think doing it by default would be -ev. if you haven't raised in a while or would like to draw more action, it's just fine.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:10 PM

If you are in a game where the blinds are tight, there is no maniac on the button (isolation reraise), and you are viewed by the other players as a TAG player, then a raise is probably proper here. (This is going to be a difficult set of circumstances to find on Party's 15/30, however in my regular weekly live game, this is exactly what I would do.) That being said, it's not much of a hand to be running a semi-bluff with. You only have 9 high, and being suited doesn't bring too much to the table for you. This is the perfect hand for multiway action and only if you can get in for one bet. Of course, if you are in the right game where stealing the blinds is very profitable then try it, but in the online games (loose/aggressive) I'd rather have a couple of cards above a 9 or any ace in my hand to try this.

In $3/$6 I think you are going to get called most of the time and when you do, you'll get beaten much more times than you'll show a profit.

So, I guess I vote for a fold unless the conditions are correct.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:47 PM

playing 89s utg is hard and usually incorrect. you need to know that you will have several players in the pot to make it correct. in a passive game, where it is also loose you can, but being out of position on every round, and not knowing if it will be raised preflop argures strongly for not playing very many hands in early position.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
playing 89s utg is hard and usually incorrect

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:15 PM

playing 89s utg is hard and usually incorrect. you need to know that you will have several players in the pot to make it correct. in a passive game, where it is also loose you can, but being out of position on every round, and not knowing if it will be raised preflop argures strongly for not playing very many hands in early position.

Wow.

GoT
Old 01-15-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what does this have anything at all to do with 89s folded to you in the cutoff?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:08 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
Good point.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 01-15-2005, 10:15 PM

i can not explain my response. however, i am glad i gave everyone including myself a laugh.