Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Playing vs the Move of Honor

This has happened a few times the past two days (across multiple sites), I didn't know that the Move of Honor was getting so popular.

You're dealt AA in late position. You raise 4BB, everybody folds except for 1 caller.

Flop is something like J 8 3 rainbow. Villain open pushes with something like $$80 into a $20 pot. What's your call?
Old 01-15-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Playing vs the Move of Honor

i hate it when this kind of [censored] happens. my initial reaction is to fold - fearing a set. but after thinking about it, wouldn't most people try and slowplay their sets here? why would they want to move all in and force you off your AK or whatever? he's probably got a jack and is worried about you calling and catching an overcard and he would rather push it in now and possibly move you off your overpair than just betting the pot and not knowing where he is if you call. i dont know, interested to hear what others think about this.

peace - jeff
Old 01-15-2005, 03:37 PM

Was the caller in the blinds or had he limped in before you raised. How aggressive is he? Do you typically raise unraised pots to try to taked down the $'s pre-flop? If the caller was a blind have you been running over him and raising him everytime you have the button and the action is passed to you? Maybe he's pissed and wants to send a message If this is a 10 person table your only worry is a set. If he limped in and then called the raise I don't think i would put him on Jack's and 8's out (most players would have raised). I think I would put him on A J, K J or maybe 22. I think you should call unless this player has shown himself to be very tight. If he is in the blind JJs and 88s look more like a possibility. However if you had been bullying him he might just be standing up to you. This is a tough call. I think I would put him on AJ and call
Old 01-15-2005, 03:40 PM

It's hard to tell because many players will do this with QQ KK AA, some rare gems will do it with AJ.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:51 PM

He limped in and called pre-flop raise.

Assume no reads and you just sat down.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:57 PM

I think his holding is AJ or 22. If he had pocket JJs and up I would think he would raise. 88's are usually a raising hand but he might have limped with them. I think you need to hold your breath and call.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:06 PM

I think if you fold this you are just throwing money away to be honest. You see a push here on Party with all sorts of nonsense. Don't over-estimate how many thinking players there are online at this level.

edit - ok, you didn't specifically mention Party but it's still an easy call imo.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:46 PM

I call these at 25NL with AA and KK and expect my volatility to go up. I was shown J6o for two pair on the flop last week. My biggest concern is that I get a rep for calling big bets and start to get shown the nuts alot on all ins. Its hard to pull just these hands on PT so I'm not sure how its working out.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:59 PM

I ask because I instantly called each time, and each time I was shown a set. Got burned for a lot of money and it's making me play tight weak now.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:01 AM

See, at first tricky players lead into the pf raiser with a set so you raise and they can come over the top or stop and go. That is a good, tricky play. Now they have just taken it one step further. I think I still call. I think you will see one pair there a lot. Sorry for your beatings, though.