Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 09:29 AM

Default flop trip J\'s

Crazy, after moving up in stakes I have gone from too aggressive to too passive, or am I too hard on myself? I always find hitting trips with one of my hole cards one of the more difficult hands to play, do you bet this more aggressively?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($65.15)
UTG+1 ($43.35)
MP1 ($50.30)
MP2 ($107.25)
<font color="#C00000">Kips Bay Kid ($268.80)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Button ($176.45)</font>
SB ($87.50)
BB ($131.95)

Preflop: Kips Bay Kid is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $1, MP2 calls $1, Kips Bay Kid calls $1, Button calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($6) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Kips Bay Kid bets $2</font>, Button calls $2, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($10) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Kips Bay Kid bets $5.85</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Kips Bay Kid raises to $30</font>, Button calls $18.

River: ($70) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Kips Bay Kid checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $18</font>, Kips Bay Kid calls $18.

Final Pot: $106
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $106, between Kips Bay Kid and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Kips Bay Kid ($106).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Kips Bay Kid has Kc Js (three of a kind, jacks).
Button has 7c Jc (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: Kips Bay Kid wins $106. </font>
Old 01-15-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: flop trip J\'s

It's a little weird but J-6-J is really a very similar flop to, say, J-6-2. The only differences are that 1)you are now beating an overpair and 2)there is a smaller likelihood of someone having "two pair" (i.e. a full house) since there is only one potential rag to pair. So, despite the fact that your hand is stronger than it would be on a J-6-2 flop, it seems to me like you are betting it more weakly. You are not going to get action on this hand from anyone other than another J or 66. It is much more likely that it is a weaker J than 66 or AJ so you should be trying to build the pot since another J is likely to call decent sized bets. If you are betting strongly and you face serious aggression, then you can think about laying down if you read villain as having a boat or AJ, but your initial goal should be to build the pot. I think you got lucky that he raised at all. I think most players in his position would just call down, but they would be willing to call sizeable bets so you should be making sizeable bets.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:49 AM

Why check the river?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why check the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I put him on a J, and I thought AJ or QJ would be a more likely starting hand then Jx
Old 01-15-2005, 01:17 PM

Yeah, I just didn't know why the reraise on the turn and then the check on the river when it comes a blank. If you think you are ahead enough to reraise the turn and a non-scare card comes on the river, bet out.

- ToT
Old 01-15-2005, 01:34 PM

it's a catch-22 I did think I was ahead when re-raised the turn, but then he called my raise, so it caused me to see monsters (I guess).