Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: ABC poker at higher NL levels, does it work???

early in the summer before i built my roll up i was playing 1/2NL for a living.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:09 PM

When people say they are playing "ABC" poker at NL, what does that mean? I wasn't aware of a definitive guide being written or published regarding NL ring play, so are people just referring to only playing with regard to pot odds and a reasonably tight (18-22% VP$IP range) preflop hand selection?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:17 AM

abc as in predictable. every hand is played the same way to maximize EV for the hand they are currently in without regards to how other players perceive you.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When people say they are playing "ABC" poker at NL, what does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, this is a good question.

I'm reading through Harrington's book (excellent, highly recommended), and I'm coming to a realization. He categorizes player types into three groups: "conservative," "aggressive," and "hyper-aggressive." This is in the context of tournament play, but seems relevant for cash games and this thread, to an extent.

By "ABC" poker, my first thought is that this is Harrington's "conservative" player type. But Harrington also repeats a phrase in italics throughoput the book: you will make your easiest money when you play the opposite of your normal style. If you are normally conservative, you will win you biggest pots when you shift to aggressive or hyper-aggressive mode (you hold the key low cards that no one expects). If you are hyper-aggressive, you will win your biggest pots when you shift to conservative mode (and actually play only the good cards).

So, a better definition of playing winning "ABC" poker -- you play conservative most of the time, but when the time is right (when the remainder of the table is also playing mostly conservative style) you slip into an aggressive or hyper-aggressive mode and mop up. Then, quietly slip back into conservative mode.

In other words, "ABC" poker also incorporates selectively changing gears at the right time given the makeup of the players and table (and then back). This is nothing new, really, but interesting to hear from the perspective of one of the poker world's most reputably solid players, and put into the context of "ABC" discussion for cash games.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:25 PM

ABC poker is exactly the opposite. An ABC player won't shift gears. ABC players play a conservative style 100% of the time. Not all conservative players are ABC, because you can play conservative poker most of the time, but then open up and shift gears as Dan suggests. ABC players play conservatively 100% of the time.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:08 PM

I think pretty ABC play could make a nice profit in the game you most often play in (Commerce 10/20 NL). I've played that game a number of times and the guys playing very tight and honest are usually pretty easy to spot. They usually don't play very deep stacks, so it's often not worth the bother to take shots at them (except for stealing their blinds or stealing their calls when someone makes a weak open and you steal the pot) and I see many better players pretty much ignore them, especially when the game is really good. Whereas, the bad players happily pay them off. I agree that it would be very boring, though, and I think someone willing to play in that manner would probably make more playing limit poker like that.

Anyway, my point is that this guy talked about making a mid five-figure income. That's very achievable in NL playing ABC, either live or online.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:31 AM

agreed
Old 01-15-2005, 06:44 AM

seems to me that ABC might be mandatory for those on somewhat/increasingly short bankrolls, at least to start building...

what with the higher variance of hyper-aggressive tricky play? although i suppose once youre good enough there is little gamble to NL...sadly I dont anticipate anything approaching zero fluctuation for myself anytime soon lol.