Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: What I Learned From Tonight\'s \"Tilt\' Episode

But I like to play the 2/4 at Foxwoods too! Oh God, I'll never get out of the kiddie pool...
Old 01-14-2005, 11:27 AM

I loved the fact that they showed people taking down big pots with garbage hands. You know there will be idiots who now will always play 6d4d because "The Matador" played it.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im no FCC censor...but im thinking after the unfortunate Janet Jackson fiasco that probably is gonna be a no-no even for basic cable. The whole gang raping of a minor thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn conservatives. The gang-raping would have been just fine on basic cable in the Clinton years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahmen
Old 01-14-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't watched most of it. I did learn from the little that I saw that raising is better than calling on the river when you put your opponent on a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was absolutely the stupidest thing in show full of very stupid stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. He had a monster hand, just not the nuts. If he thought he could taunt his opponent into reraising all-in as a bluff, or doing it with top pair (at the end of the hand he said he put him on a pair), the raise was worth it.

Reraising with 22 in MP after a 40xBB raise UTG . . . well, that's iffier [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-14-2005, 12:29 PM

I found it to be realistic, since whenever I'm at a live table I'm much more focused on thinking up a "witty" retort or aphorism ("That six minted me...") than on playing my cards. Also, I talk continuously.

But, *sigh* I'm still gonna watch every episode.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I loved the fact that they showed people taking down big pots with garbage hands. You know there will be idiots who now will always play 6d4d because "The Matador" played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't "The Matador" the 64 of *spades*? Ooh, and did we just invent a new VVP hand name?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:40 PM

This is the best point made yet - I hope it gets huge and brings lots of people to my games that play 4-6o trying to river the nuts.

Instead of bashing, maybe we should start a fan club dedicated to all the fantastic poker strategy one can learn from Tilt.

Think about the possilibities...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:52 PM

Did you notice that when The Matador raised it to $4000 pre-flop he said "bet" not "raise"?
Old 01-14-2005, 01:14 PM

I learned that good poker players dress like washed up pimps (eg, the Matador's silk shirt collection) and that Michael Madsen has very sensitive pupils...he has to wear sunglasses indoors and when he isn't wearing them, he squints a lot.

Oh yeah, and I also learned that on top of brutally cutting cops' ears off, Mr. Blonde also breaks arms by jumping on them.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Haha, this made me laugh - got this from another message board that I frequent that was discussing the show - thought I'd share:

[ QUOTE ]
Did anybody TiVo the damn show? I missed the last 10 minutes because the Duke-State game ran over.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Are you afraid you may have missed something?

I didn't watch it until the end, but my guess is something like this is what happened:

Good looking Poker guy is at a poker table heads up with another guy. He says something like, "Poker is like a fine wine, you have to smell the cork before you take a sip".

Then the other guys says something like, "I noticed you checked after your intial bet, makes me think you need a diaper change."

Then the other guy said, "You kiss your mother with that mouth?"

Then the other guy said, "No, but I kissed your mother".

Then the other guy said, "Well, my mother's dead. So that makes you a necropheliac!"

Then the other guy said, "I'm all in"

Then the other guy calls

Then the not good looking guy throws over the second best hand and says, "You made a mistake rookie, see you at the nickle slots".

Then the good looking guy flips over some low connector off suit, giving him the nuts, and says, "I'll be over there counting your money".

Then the other guy looks shocked and angry and storms off all the time discrediting the other guys game.

Then the other guy rakes in the pot and says, "In the poker game of life, that guy is the bathroom attendant".

Fade to black.

Or something like that. "