Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Playing with Matt Flynn/Live Hand/Tunica

well if he is tight passive i find it hard to believe you are going to get paid off if you hit one of your many outs. so, i would say get the money in now while you can.... but that seems sort of silly since the only possible holding you are ahead of equity-wise is QJ. the money in the pot sort of pads things though since you aren't really that big of a dog to his range of hands. heck, even if he has the nuts at the moment you still have over 40% equity. screw it, i say pot it to around $120-ish.

very interesting hand.
-tpir
Old 01-13-2005, 10:33 AM

Just min raise him back and bet the turn if you are flat called. This works suprisingly well against your normal idiot.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:18 AM

i dont like this hand nearly as much with the J already out there. if a bunch of money gets dumped in, you could be semi bad shape an already higher straight or Ax or Kx [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], all of whom will play a big pot with you.

i say just call and see what EP does. i play this one on the slower side.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 PM

have to worry about the made straight and a higher flush draw calling you down (not so bad if only the flush draw but a bear if another made hand stays in. so, instead of sticking $760 worth of testosterone into the pot, i would call. you can lead the turn if you wish - both to fire and to block - say $60.

matt
Old 01-13-2005, 05:46 PM

music to my ears when my thoughts line up with yours [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
instead of sticking $760 worth of testosterone into the pot, i would call. you can lead the turn if you wish - both to fire and to block - say $60.

matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, I think you and FSUplayer didn't notice that EP folded and button only has 220. Does that change your thinking at all?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:13 PM

lol you are correct sir.

coltrane i assume chris #1 (with Crown and soda and big stack) to my right was walking and we are talking about red-shirted chris #2? must be if the button was tight passive.

there is no question here. unless you can read redshirt very accurately for the straight you push.

suppose you know for sure your opponent has KT with the king of diamonds. you are too far behind to push. call $20. if a king hits bet all in for the freeroll. if no king or diamond hits check and decide your move based on size of his bet (call or fold depending on his bet size).

suppose you know he has KT without the king of diamonds. same as above! why? because you're off by a percent. (at the table you just push in. you cannot calculate that accurately that quickly so you take the coin flip.)

suppose you know he has a set or two pair. you make money pushing in. big money if he has two pair or the same open-ender with a queen or a bigger flush draw. and if he ever folds there you get a huge overlay to push.

enough thinking. all in.

matt
Old 01-14-2005, 06:56 AM

Default Results, etc...

thanks for all the responses...

okay, obviously the old big-draw-out-of-position is a tricky one and very dependent on stack sizes, opponent player type, etc.....here was my thinking at the time......when the button raises me (and Matt, it wasn't either of the Chris', it was that other non-descript dude with the backwards hat), I don't put him on top-two......I just think that he was that passive that he would've just called with top two.....when he mini-raises like that, I'm putting him on nothing less than the made straight or a set....an all-in reraise by me didn't seem to make sense.....

first off, a push is a pretty big overbet in relation to the pot and if he's got the nuts it's a pretty stupid bet by me.....ditto against a set although there's a couple things I didn't think about at the time that I now know after running the numbers - the fact that I have a pure straight flush draw (not just a straight/flush draw) makes my equity higher and so does the fact that I have one of the jacks in my hand (one of his boat outs), but at the time I was thinking I was a 3-2 dog against a set so the push didn't make sense.....

the other thing is, I feel like the best way to make him pay for his huge mistake of mini-raising is to just call....he's giving me great odds to call and he's so passive that he might call a big bet on the turn even if I hit (or on the river).....and if I miss on the turn, he was passive enough to either let me see the river for free or at least cheaper than he should......I just felt like when given the choice of taking the implied odds against a weak player or putting the opponent in a spot where he can't make a mistake, it was a much better option to go with the former.....remember, we gain when we get our opponents to make the biggest mistakes possible.....

as for the results of the hand.....

when he mini-raised, I looked at his chipstack and asked him how much he had left.....he told me and I flat called his mini-raise.....the turn blanked and I checked, he checked behind......the river brought an offsuit 8 (giving me a straight) and I bet 2/3 the pot......he called, showed a set of nines, and I took down the pot.....so it turned out he played the hand even more awfully than I thought he might...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Results, etc...

stack preservation issues are important.

if you are pretty sure he has the straight or a set and there's a strong chance he will check the turn with a set (an absolutely abysmal play), then i have no problem with flat calling the flop.

matt