Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: don\'t know \'bout you guys but tilt sucked

What I got from the show was that every good high stakes player in Vegas cheats with everyone else at the table. Seriously, every character in the show practices some sort of colluding in their game. How is poker going to get respect as a decent game when ignorant television watchers think of winning poker players as cheats?

Also, what was up with the high stakes cardroom manager telling that guy that he might be better off at the 3/6! And then rolling his eyes at him and saying "oh everyone wants to play no limit now that its on TV." That is just ridiculous. I can't think of a single cardroom that would have a manager be so blatantly rude to players and look down upon them like that. Totally absurd characters in this show.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:36 PM

It might have sucked, but we will all be glued to the TV to see it next Thursday, and the Thursday after that, and the Thursday after that...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"you crap your pants one time and they never let you forget about it"

That was the one memorable moment from 48 minutes of show. Oh and the fairly offensive portrayal of what a "black" poker sub-culture would be like...if one existed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Im white yet even I find myself somewhat offended about the portrail of black men packing guns and thinking white people are cops. Bad for poker, bad for the black community, Just all around bad.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:48 PM

Bravo!

I want a Fan Club. I want to see it stay on the air for a looooong time.

Makes good chum...

;-)
Old 01-14-2005, 12:59 PM

The entire premise of this show is ridiculous in 2005. The action reflects the Vagas of the 1970's(or before). Also, the running story line of trying to break "The Matador" would never really work in today's Vegas.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:06 PM

like an automobile accident, it is terrible but i can't look away.

don't lie, you'll all be watching the next episode too.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:44 PM

Default isn\'t the matador UNORIGINAL

also the matador is juan carlos mortensen but apparently I guess they weren't original enough to think up a different poker name for mikey madsen. Cuz' I mean he does bring in young bulls into the ring and bankrolls them.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:09 PM

Well, I personally don't know anyone who actually thinks Rounders is a good movie. That being said, I think Ed Norton's acting was great. No one had high expectations for this show so I'm not surprised that "Tilt" isn't exactly... well, it's not even "Lucky." Tilt and Rounders both suffer from the lack of plausible story line and bad dialog. My only complaint is that if they weren't going to make a "good" show, they should've made it so bad (B movie bad) and send the unintentional comedy scale through the roof. Everything in this show is bad, but not quite egregious enough to shift it into positive. Oh well.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:13 PM

The "convenience" of their arrival to that black card club was funny, too; they show up, haven't been there for two minutes, and there's a big brouhahah with guns pulled over a string-bet. Gimme a break.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 PM

You know, if I introduced a new TV show that got this much mindshare, morning-after talk and other related ranting, I might think I have a success.

The part of it I liked is that it portrayed all poker players as angle-shooting jerks. Just congruent with my rabid misanthropy, that's all.