Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Well, I\'m officially playing poker for a living....

You said you 8 table 15/30? Man, I tried that for a while and got beat up pretty badly, and I'm someone who can easily play 8-12 SNGs at once.

Do you have a monitor that can handly 4 tables without overlap?

I'm 20 also (turn 21 in 2 weeks), so I'm pretty interested in how things go for you. I won $40k in November, but lost back about in 8k in December and another 3-4k in January. The past few days I have been 6-tabling $5/$10 6-handed and been doing pretty well.

The one thing I do know is that having rakeback to fall back on is really nice. Playing 6 tables of 5/10 shorthanded will get you 40-50 bucks an hour, which is pretty sweet. Essentially, if you can play break even poker you will earn 6-8x what a normal college student makes.

Anyway, good luck man, you sound a lot like myself. I quit my job in August, am a full time student, and don't really plan on getting another job anytime soon.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:38 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. We will see how long I can keep it up. Not too difficult but the swings are huge. Still up about 4k on the month (playing 1-2 hours a day avg) but the last 4 days have been all losing sessions for over $800 each... really blows morale.

And no, my monitors have slight overlap but that problem would be alleviated if Dell didn't delay my goddamned 2001fp another week... the bastards...
Old 01-14-2005, 08:45 AM

it sounds like you've moved up VERY fast. 8-tabling 15/30 after playing it for only a few weeks and not having proven yourself even at lower levels, on a bankroll the size of yours, sounds extremely risky.

you could easily just be running well, so be careful. don't be afraid to move down if things don't go well. you could blow through that bankroll very quickly.

i'm not saying you're not a winning player at 15/30. just don't let yourself be blinded to the fact that you might not be.

i'd be interested in seeing your poker tracker stats if you're willing to show them.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:51 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't mind showing them. As I said, I am willing to concede I may very well not be a winning $15/30 player. I'm pretty confident in being able to beat $5/10, but I am willing to concede I am running good at $15/30.

Let me import everything then sometime after I get some sleep and I'll post it. I'm interested to see exactly how many hands it is too and what the stats are.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:27 AM

I am a pretty decent limit player but when I moved up to 15-30 decided to start by one and two tabling. I am not trying to be preachy but read what Stinky Pete says carefully.

I don't want to be Mr. Negativity but I think 8 tabling 15-30 with the amount of hours under you is frankly a horrible idea.

The swings can be huge. I dropped 6k in 3 days a few weeks ago which is not uncommon if you ask around.

I don't want to be the naysayer here but I think you should drop back to 5-10 or 3-6 and play some more hands. What was your win rate and standard deviation for the 100k hands at 5-10 or was that pre PT?

I don't of course know your game personally so if you are the next Phil Ivey my advice will look ridiculous. But there are many who fail by moving up too quickly for the few who succeed so my advice is just general for an average person with your description, not necessarily specific to you personally if you understand me.

I know this message is going to sound preachy but it is what it is. In any case I wish you the best of luck and look forward to reading your blog.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:35 AM

By all means I take no offense and appreciate your opinion. I did begin $15/30 by doing 1 and 2 tables, then 4, then 8. And I am willing to concede I can not statistically say I am can beat $15/30, nor do I necessarily think I need to be able to at this point. If it turns out I can't, or I take a huge down-swing I can always step down and make enough to live comfortably.

I totally appreciate any advice/concern/suggestions from anyone and I think everyone has made valid points. This thread itself has made me go back and try hard to find leaks in my game, which I think I have found a couple.

I'm not actually sure if I am getting sleep tonight (lol it's morning now), but I'll try to get those PT stats up soon.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:19 PM

i think you should drop down too. making $100/hr at 15/30 is kick ass and all, but i think you making $50/hr at 5/10 is already very very good. you are already doing better than 80% of the population, and you are playing poker, in the comfort of your own home.

you want swings to look like specs in your bankroll. i don't know what your current bankroll is (you mentioned 15k in your first post), but it sounds like just a couple bad runs of 15/30 and you'll be looking for a job again.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, after moving up to $2/4 I started taking the game more seriously, read some more, played some more, and began multi-tabling. Also somewhere in here I made the investment in PokerTracker (which STILL doesn't work on this computer for some reason... no GameTime or whatever its called for me ) and began tracking my progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a better computer! If this is your job take aadvantage of every tool available. You should invest a little in your equipment it will pay for itself.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:52 PM

I'm 21 and a full time student at THE ohio state university. I love your plan, so much that it is also my plan. Too bad my bankroll is at 4.5k and I'm stuck at 2/4 and 3/6 for the next 8 months to a year. I would quit my job...but I play poker at work so...I mean I'm at work now.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a better computer! If this is your job take aadvantage of every tool available. You should invest a little in your equipment it will pay for itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what I was thinking when I read this. I would invest in the best chair I could find, too...make sure your desk works ergonomically, as well...good lighting, all that.

Good luck...I look forward to reading about your progress.