Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 03:26 AM

Default 78TJx board on river: bet/call a raise with TPTK, right?

UTG+1 plays very unpredictably, and is generally very loose.
SB and BB are a little stronger but still make some pretty strange plays fairly frequently. All three are LAGgy preflop.

First of all, should I be folding this preflop facing a 3bet and cap no matter the situation (to a reasonable point), or is this read-dependent? All 3 opponents had been playing very wildly preflop, so I didn't think I had a very compelling reason to fold here. UTG+1's limp-reraise worried me, though. I hadn't seem him do this before, and was concerned about AA, but I don't give him nearly enough credit to fold preflop here solely because of his limp-cap move.

I was surprised when both SB and BB folded the flop, other than that nothing special here. Same deal on the turn, I'm beginning to wonder what UTG+1 is calling with, although judging by what I've seen of his play it could be a fairly wide range of holdings.

On the river, I was a little bit hesitant in betting, I think I have to get over my instant reaction of "oh crap, he must have a 9" when I see 4 to a straight. Betting is right here, is it not? Calling a raise seems standard, or else I will be losing a lot of pots to trickier players, I would think.

Pretty much here I'd just like feedback on the preflop call and confirmation that betting the river here is correct. Thanks!

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
Old 01-14-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: 78TJx board on river: bet/call a raise with TPTK, right?

On account of the fact that my preflop-play is being disected on another (ironically, also AJs) hand right now, I think it would be a little hubristic of me to comment on yours.

But I like the river - TP isn't looking so great, but given the 'unpredicable' read it seems like a standard call. With 14BB in the pot, I'd need a pretty passive/predictable read before I could let this one go.

Redd
Old 01-14-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: 78TJx board on river: bet/call a raise with TPTK, right?

I think folding to a raise is probably correct, but I'd call for "Ed Miller" reasons. I can't imagine how he would checkraise you with a hand that can't beat TPTK. Even if he had T8 and was calling with a gutshot, he now has 2 pair.