Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Should we have the freedom to discriminate?

In a word, yes.

natedogg
Old 01-13-2005, 10:40 PM

Wealth isn't a "suspect class" in the eyes of the legal system, race is. THe major qualifier for being a suspect class is that the "factor" wasn't a choice (race certainly isn't).

Cody
Old 01-13-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that discrimination is ignorant, however if a person owns a place of business and does not want a specific group using his/her business...that is their right

[/ QUOTE ]

In terms of restaurant patronage, the Supreme Court disagrees with you. As for whether or not discrimination at a restaurant presents a hardship, imagine what would happen if, say, all the restaurants in Mississippi refused to serve blacks.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:43 AM

People are born into poverty....People are also born into wealth...I see your point, and you are right for the most part. I was just poking fun at the topic...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:52 AM

Well....I guess alot of blacks will be cooking their own meals then.... Look, I do not agree with discrimination, I think it is just as wrong as the next person...That doesn't mean other people have to live by my standards...Who am I to tell someone how to run their business? I know the SC says differently, but I don't look to the SC for guidance either...
Old 01-14-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to say that any of your other examples involves such a hardship. This is why I personally answer no to the first question, and yes to the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure business is done on the golf course, if a female CEO wants to business on a golf course I am sure there are atleast 40 golf courses around there...It isn't about doing business though, that is just a front for the real reason. Women want to join because they are told they can't...Plain and simple...I don't see the big deal anyway, if they became a CEO without use of the club, why would they all of a sudden need to join to survive? This is all just immature playground behavior.

There is financial hardship for women CEOs (and I guess all businesswomen) who can't play at private golf courses that only allow male members. In this article I have in front of me it state's, "CEOs of America's major corporations play there (Augusta), and we all know that business is done there. Their policy places businesswomen at a disadvantage at that venue. Sure, female CEOs enjoy the right to form their own groups, but it wouldn't be the same thing since there are many more men who hold the title CEO."

[/ QUOTE ]

sure business is done on a golf course, if a female CEO wants to business on a golf course I am sure there are atleast 40 golf courses around there...It isn't about doing business though, that is just a front for the real reason. Women want to join because they are told they can't...Plain and simple...I don't see the big deal anyway, if they became a CEO without use of the club, why would they all of a sudden need to join to survive? This is all just immature playground behavior.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to say that any of your other examples involves such a hardship. This is why I personally answer no to the first question, and yes to the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure business is done on the golf course, if a female CEO wants to business on a golf course I am sure there are atleast 40 golf courses around there...It isn't about doing business though, that is just a front for the real reason. Women want to join because they are told they can't...Plain and simple...I don't see the big deal anyway, if they became a CEO without use of the club, why would they all of a sudden need to join to survive? This is all just immature playground behavior.

There is financial hardship for women CEOs (and I guess all businesswomen) who can't play at private golf courses that only allow male members. In this article I have in front of me it state's, "CEOs of America's major corporations play there (Augusta), and we all know that business is done there. Their policy places businesswomen at a disadvantage at that venue. Sure, female CEOs enjoy the right to form their own groups, but it wouldn't be the same thing since there are many more men who hold the title CEO."

[/ QUOTE ]
sure business is done on a golf course, if a female CEO wants to business on a golf course I am sure there are atleast 40 golf courses around there...It isn't about doing business though, that is just a front for the real reason. Women want to join because they are told they can't...Plain and simple...I don't see the big deal anyway, if they became a CEO without use of the club, why would they all of a sudden need to join to survive? This is all just immature playground behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not serious, are you?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not serious, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have laid it on a bit thick there at the end, but in general yes I am serious.