Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Bottom set facing a cold push

NL100 6-max on party with BB $2. I have $200 as does villain.

I limp 22 UTG, CO limps, Button(Villain) makes it 5$, all call.

5 to flop, Pot: $25. Board comes J82 rainbow. Checked to Villain who cold pushes. Thats $195 into a $25 pot.

Now, villain has played pretty bad, but seemed like a calling station -- and I hadn't notice him raise before at all. The only hands I lose to are JJ or 88, so it seemed like an obvious call.

This play made no sense. Some bad players might cold push AA or KK preflop if they are suffering from draw-out mentality, but Villain made a very moderate raise preflop. It made very little sense to me why he would cold-push to protect, when a bet of pot or even two times pot would be sufficient. Two pair seemed very improbable. I was completely confused, but called. What added most to confusion was Villains calling-station habits.

What do you guys think Villain actually has?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Bottom set facing a cold push

I played with an opponent that would raise a large amount preflop (10x the BB) with a good hand (10-10 -> AA, AQ (AJ sometimes) and AK) and then auto push the flop. Even with stacks of 200BB's.

He was fun to play with, but it does not appear your opponent is of that type.

I think you are ahead over 50% of the time.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:33 AM

Calling stations by nature only bet this big with HUGE hands, they generally do not understand value betting or the size of the pot and this is the result. The fact that it is a calling station makes me feel that this is probably a very big hand. An overpair seems fairly likely, but a set is not out of the question. What had this guy showed when he had raised before? This might aid in the answer to this extremely bizarre and as you said, senseless play. Im usually calling this depending on the answer to this question.

Cheers, Pat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2005, 06:48 AM

without taking into account how your post is worded, my first guess was aces. the way you typed it out, it sounds like JJ. But i call this, and expect to see AA quite often, especially if villian is a bad player. Good players arent going to open push with AA/KK, knowing that they're rarely going to get called unless they are beat.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:56 AM

Wow, I almost never see this play.

Sometimes you will see a moron raise preflop, then bet something tiny on the flop, get raised, then reraise allin; that usually means they have top set.

Here, I think you have to call.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:56 AM

his preflop play is not inconsistent with JJ or 88, but if he is weak, his raise may indicate KK or AA.

Are you ahead half of the time?

I would have a hard time laying this down.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:13 PM

I thought it was weird too and although I was worried about some strange set, I thought he has AA or KK enough, sometimes even AJ or random cards. I called pretty quickly. 88 for middle set. I generally agree with what was said here.