Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Make this call?...

I haven't read the other posts yet, but here's my 2 cents:

You probably should have called. Unless the all-in player is loose enough to have called your raise with A9, I think you're ahead and he's all in on a draw or a low pair like 77. Here's why:

1. Pre-flop, these guys just limped. That tells me no PP like TT, JJ or QQ.
2. On your pre-flop raise, they did not re-raise. That tells me no even bigger PP like KK or AA.
3. On the flop, he bet less than 1/3 of the pot into a scary board. That tells me, again, that he doesn't have an overpair, as i think he would have bet more to protect the hand on this scary of a board.
4. You have a nine, reducing his chances of having a nine with a higher kicker. Moreover, if he had A9 or something along those lines, he would have bet more on the flop to protect the hand (see above). In the mathematically unlikely event he If he had 99 or 88, he would probably have checked the flop, and would almost certainly have not gone all in on the turn.
5. Put yourself in his shoes and imagine what he perceives from the post-flop action of two callers. If he had a draw to the straight (JT) or flush, he might have bet 1000 on the flop. Seeing two callers behind him, and a brick coming on the turn, he probably figured that neither one of you hit your draw and he can force you out with an all-in bet.
6. By the turn, he looks at his stack (5000) and he looks at the pot (7000 or so) and he really, really wants that pot. So, he takes a shot at a semi-bluf with his KJs or JT.

Geez, to me, everything points to a call. Whether I could do it in 30 seconds is another matter. Now I'll read the other responses.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Make this call?...

[ QUOTE ]
Geez, to me, everything points to a call. Whether I could do it in 30 seconds is another matter. Now I'll read the other responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, great analysis. I thought what you thought too, but it took me too long, so I opted to fold. Oh well.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 PM

Default preflop raise

I know this is a little off topic, but I am wondering what the rational for the raise preflop is. That isn't a play that I make. Is that a standard play for a lot of people? I realize that there is a deception value to it and you have great position, but under what conditions does that raise pay off (free card on flush or straight draw, deceptive top pair)?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: preflop raise

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is a little off topic, but I am wondering what the rational for the raise preflop is. That isn't a play that I make. Is that a standard play for a lot of people? I realize that there is a deception value to it and you have great position, but under what conditions does that raise pay off (free card on flush or straight draw, deceptive top pair)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really too standard, I thought I would take the dead money w/ the raise.

I probably should've made it 1,200 total, but I forgot to tack on the extra 200 with a limper.

Basically, I wasn't fearing a limp/raise from MP or any of the players, none of them were tricky, so I really thought I would have outright success in taking the dead money. Also it allows me to take control of the hand so i can take it on the flop if I miss completely, or take a free card if I need one.

Also, by my flat-call on the flop, he probably put me on big cards taking one off, (although I would never call in that spot with AK/AQ...) so I could've forced him to make a big mistake later in the hand. (Except I pussied out and folded, but that also sometimes happens)